Hello there,

I was wondering if someone can tell me who can actually get stunned myocardium and what should be done in order to prevent this.

The thing is, I have this a bit older friend who is totally awesome. He is one of those older people who are still living as they are teenagers and have the best sense of humor you have ever heard. I spend a lot of time with him and he recently told me that he has been diagnosed with stunned myocardium. That's why I want to know who can get this stunned myocardium and what should one do to prevent it?

Hi Bee,

I hope that your friend is going to be okay, I too like those kind of people.

The term "stunned" myocardium originally arose from observing the wall motion of canine hearts after occluding coronary blood flow shorter than necessary to cause cell death (5-15 minutes)

The myocardium at risk of being stunned in a more typical human clinical situation is myocardium which has a low fractional flow reserve at rest. Between 40-80% stenosis, there is normal coronary blood flow, but a decrease in maximal coronary blood flow. Myocardium in this territory is at risk of being "stunned" with a maximal effort.

Hi Bee,

I don't really think that there is anything that you can do in order to prevent this. I mean, if you start out on time, most of heart problems can be prevented with a proper lifestyle, a healthy lifestyle. This would include not smoking (this is the most important part of prevention), eating a heart healthy diet and exercising on a daily basis. I don't think that alcohol plays any role here although people recommend that you should try to avoid alcohol as much as you can.

However, I think that this is not really the case with stunned myocardium and that you can't really do anything about it.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the help. I was really hoping to hear that there is some way to prevent this. I mean, I'm not scared about my health or anything, I am trying to live my life as healthy as I can, I like it that way as well, it is not hard for me but it is kind of bad that there are conditions and diseases which cannot be prevented. By the way, someone told me that there might be a way to prevent this, something called intracoronary amiloride, or something like that, does anyone perhaps know more about this matter?

Hello everyone.
I think that anyone can get stunned myocardium, because I do know a several cases that are totally different and all of them are diagnosed with stunned myocardium. So I somehow believe that there is no exception in this. All that I do know about stunned myocardium is that this term refers to a situation in which an acute transient myocardial ischemic event results in a prolonged wall motion abnormality which eventually resolves. The term is also usually distinguished from "hibernating" myocardium, in which a chronic ischaemic process leads to chronic left ventricular dysfunction. I believe that you can't do anything to prevent it.

Good day folks. My dad has stunned myocardium for a pretty long time and trust me, there is no way to prevent it. He tried to do that when his doctor told him that he has a big chances to get stunned myocardium. Whatever he did, nothing was helpful. True, my dad is a little bit older so I believe that older people can get this diagnose. I am not sure about younger ones. It is true that most of the heart problems can be prevented with good lifestyle habits, but I don't think that this can help you a lot. It can help you to prevent something that is going to happen.