Doesn't everybody get heartburn on occasions? I used to think that milk or yoghurt cured heartburn, but it turns out that dairy products make heartburn even worse! But perhaps there are herbs that can cure heartburn? What do you think about this? Have you used anything of the kind? Please recommend something!

Did you know that vinegar or sour foods can cure heartburn? I understand that this is counter-intuitive, but it does work. Whenever I get heartburn, I reach for some pickles! You know how there are lots of legends about pregnant women eating gherkins compulsively? Perhaps the fact that it cures heartburn, which is terrible in pregnancy, has something to do with this. Try it out next time you get heartburn.

I kind of got “burned” on the idea that heartburn happens to everyone and that it normal. Of course, that is true, but I’ve learned the hard way that if it happens more than once week you need to check it out. I know that it’s probably not the case with you, but still. So, how can one stop it? The obvious way is to simply don’t eat/drink foods that you think can cause heartburn. I would be very suspicious about vinegar or sour foods “treatment” simply because discomfort you feel when you have heartburn is caused by too much stomach acid. It seems really unlikely that more acid would help. Has anyone tried it for real and can share the experience?
If you have heartburn once in a while there is no harm in taking some anti-acid. There virtually are no side effects in that case. And it always helps to sit up or stand - heartburn pain is often worse when lying down or bending over.