Sorry for the long post - thought it would be best to give in-depth information...

Six months ago I was prescribed Ibuprofen for a hamstring injury. Shortly after this I developed a stomach pain. I stopped taking the Ibuprofen and a couple days later the pain was gone. About a week later it came back. After a while I went to the GP who thought it might be an ulcer and prescribed Omeprazole and the pain went for about 2 weeks and then came back so they upped my doseage. After trying a number of different drugs in association with the Omeprazole (Antepsin (Sulcrafate), Ranitidine, Pecid, Metoclopramide) - the pain was still there so they switched me to Lanzaprazole which worked for about 2 days and the pain came back. Again they upped the doesage but it didn't help. I was then admitted to hospital where they did 2 x Endoscopies (which came back clear but showed a bit of inflammation in my stomach lining), a CT Scan (clear), an Ultrasound (clear). Blood tests came back fine but showed a slight sign of infection on the day I was admitted but have been clear since. This was in October. I've been in extreme pain everyday since - pain killers don't seem to help. The only thing that takes the edge off it is 2 x paracetamol taken with 2 x Tramadol which needless to say is not ideal. I came off the Lanzaprozole in November as it wasn't helping. Since then I've had insane heartburn to the point where I'm taking 6-8 Gaviscon tablets a day, regardless of my diet. Even branflakes with skimmed milk gives me heartburn. I have noticed that triggers for the pain have been fruit juice, a banana and other fruit, coca-cola - in these instances the pain has come on within minutes and very severely (obviously i now avoid these and other acidy foods). Ordinarily the pain usually comes on within 15 minutes of eating but it can happen when I haven't eaten.

My Gastroenterologist thought it could by IBS (as I was constipated but I think this has been because I'm taking 6 Tramadol a day) I take Movicol to combat the constipation and he prescribed Spasmonal as he thought my pain was caused by stomach spasms. This didn't help. I've since had a Colonsocopy - again this came back clear (but apparently a previous stool sample has indicated an inflammed bowel but they couldn't find any sign of this). I've got a small bowel x-ray tomorrow but I don't think this will show anything. I've also had 3 H.Pylori test which have come back negative.

The pain is in my upper stomach between my ribs (from where the ribcage parts in the middle, down to about an inch and a half above my belly button and when it's there it's constant and intense (not spasming) and it feels really bruised - when it's really bad my breathing becomes laboured. I don't get pain anywhere else (like my back or my shoulder-blades). I'm a 26 year old female who doesn't smoke and barely drinks alcohol (I did stop all alcohol for 2 months but when the pain continued I decided it was best for me to try get on with my life). Sorry for the super-long post but I'm just so fed up with this pain - it is seriously affecting my life - the pain killers can cause me insomnia which is horrible but unless I take them I can't get through the day or through work). I can't help feeling that the heartburn and excess acid is associated - could it be bile or gall bladder related? If anyone has got any ideas, has experienced anything similar or can offer any advice I'd be extremely grateful.

Haven't had much luck posting on other forums - hopefully this will be different. Thanks in advance... %-)

Unfortunately your case history is pretty complicated for forums.

At any point in your pain medication process did you have to be "constantly" on pain medication?

If you are cutting down on the pain medication you are going to notice an increase in pain. If you have been self-medicating to the point that you are constantly on opiates like Tramadol your body becomes used to that and greatly lowers your pain threshold. The problem now becomes that you can not keep increasing the dosages of the pain medication. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

You did seem to hit a keynote about drinking acid based foods and liquids. You should talk to your doctor and do some research about what foods are acidotic and what foods are not.

Hi, after looking on the web for answers myself i just got done reading your post and the pain you were experiencing sounds just like mine. It is ruining my life, making me totally miserable, it feels like im having a heart attack most of the the time, with the upper abdominal pain and severe heartburn. I was told i have dyspepsia, after all my tests are mostly normal. Your post is from last year, did they ever help you or find out what might be wrong? thank you

I was reading your posts trying to do research on food allergies due to fruit. Your symptoms caught my attention because I suffered from the same pain a few years back. It got so bad I couldn't breathe and had to rest after walking just 10 feet. Doctors told me I didn't have reflux, but that seemed to be what the symptoms were. Then I discovered that they were related to allergies to gluten and milk (not lactose intolerance). I removed them completely from my diet and the pain and other symptoms went away within a week. It was a big lifestyle change because milk and gluten are in everything. But being symptom free is worth it. Hope this helped.

Apple cider vinegar + water!! Sounds crazy, but it's true. Mix one to two teaspoons in a glass of water and drink. It almost immediately relieved my pain. Of course now I have the taste of vinegar in my mouth, but I'll take it.

I had the same problem.Pls get tested for Hpylori as i did too. the intensity of pain has subsided after triple therapy given by my doc.

I have had the same problem! I had horrible epigastric pain from my sternal notch to my belly button. It was intolerable and nobody could figure out what was wrong!! I started taking a PPI - like prilosec (I took 2 at a time, which is the prescription strength on an empty stomach 30min before dinner) AND digestive enzymes when I ate. I take "Absorb Aid" and that has totally changed my life!! I feel SOOOOO much better. Oh...and I eventually had to give up dairy and gluten too, but it's worth it, cuz I'm pain free now :-P

have you been tested for acide reflex, i'm 29 and have had terrible burning and pain for years now, when they did a MRI and loads of blood tests (which most came back normal), i was dx with acide reflex.
I also have IBS, which can cause loads of pain and acid ,which would never show up in blood test.
I also have trouble with banana's but my worse pain of all is caused through dairy products.

I also have to take pain meds everyday because of my fibro and other illness.
I always take disovable pain killers and don't get to much heart burn from it, but it I have to take solid paracetamol I really suffer with heart burn.
But all I will say is that sometime you have to give the ant-acid meds a few weeks of taking them everyday (even when you feel there doing you no good), because they do take a while to carm your stomach and acid down.
I found 30mg omeprazol twice a day and gaviscon (plus avoiding trigger foods and alchol) dose the trick.
(sorry for the spelling mistakes typing one handed)
:-D hope you fine some thing that works soon XD

I know what you are going through. Unfortunately there are alot of people with all the same problems and we seem to all be getting the same answers from doctors which is take all these pills we don't have a diagnosis for you. My boyfriend has been having severe acid reflux for over 5 years along with many other issues which started 15 years ago. He is 30 years old and we have recently taken a test called a bravo capsule test and that measured the amount of acid in your stomach for a 24 hr period. We got the test done in about a hour and they gave us a pager looking devise that had different buttons you would press every time you had a cramp, heart burn, pain in the abdomen etc. after having this test done we were told that he has 4 1/2 hrs of acid reflux per day and a normal person diagnosed with acid reflux only has 30min per day. They also did a upper and lower endoscopy test which showed that there is a valve that connects the lower intestines to the stomach that was loose which is why he had so much acid in his stomach and his food was not digesting properly, because as this valve was loose it allowed food to flow freely up the esophagus from the stomach. If you are tested for this and you do have this, then there is a surgery that you can get to tighten the valve. My boyfriend cannot get this surgery unfortunately because he swallows too much air he doesn't even notice it, but the doctor says that is what he does, so if he had the surgery done and he continued to swallow air he would be bloated constantly and it could basically trap too much air in his guts and they can explode. :( I hope this helps

Did you find out what was causing your pain? My brother in law has your exact issues he has had every test thinkable done all cleared but the extreme pain in his stomach comes and goes. We don't know what to do doctors clear him but his pain has halted his life. We are losing are faith in theses doctors...

I am not a doctor and am not giving medical advice. But I suggest you may have a parasitic infection, and your constitution may be acidic, as the following worked for me: I filled a 750ml plastic drink bottle about 1.5" from the rim, added 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and then added 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Finally I added 1 teaspoon Andrew's Health salts or Bicarbonate of soda. I allowed the mixture the effervesce and then drank the mixture throughout the day. I drink the full 750ml mixture most days. In my experience it's pretty good for cleansing the bowel.

i have severe upper stomac pain been hospitl so many timesthey cant find anything wrong i want to kill myself

i have suffered with these same symptoms since i was 15 and im now 26 and nobody can explain what is wrong with me everything you have discribed i suffered from as well i have eatin many different types of food and drank water for months and still nothing has changed i was told by a doctor one time that i drank too much alchol so i stopped completely and that was 4 years ago and still to this day nothing.

I have the same exact thing. I have abdominal pain and heartburn. Two things that are a possible diagnosis are acid reflux disease or dyspepsia. They are not harmful or cancerous but left entreated can cause major irritation. One thing i learned from my pain is that home remedies work! Get a tablespoon of apple cidar vinegar (it might not taste great but it works) and mix it with at least 8oz of water. Trust me, it works almost every time. It relieves the pain in a very short amount of time. Good luck!

My husband has been having the same issues. I did some research of my own and the symptoms matched quite a bit with either IBS or galbladder issues. He is waiting in tests results already and will bring up these two possibilities to have checked if they didnt already check for these in his previous ones.