Hello there,

I have no knowledge about this so I suppose that it is smarter to ask someone who might know more about this, I don't have friends which could help me with this matter.

I woke up in the middle of the night 2 days ago and I've noticed that my urine color was black. That had never happened to me before I didn't know what was going on. I waited for the morning to check it again and my urine color was back to normal and it was normal since then. Can anyone tell me what could black urine color mean?

Hey Guest,

I don't know, I think that you should see a doctor if you are worried about your health. Is there anything else, any other symptom that you are noticing? Your abnormal urine color can be caused by a number of things, for example, some foods might be causing this, you might have used some food that either contains natural or artificial dyes, or some food that causes a chemical reaction with your urine creating a black urine color. Some medications can also cause this, if you are using any, and then it can also be caused by some serious and dangerous health conditions.

I had the same issue as you are having now and I didn't really go to talk to my doctor because I saw this black urine color only once and during that day I did a little research on the internet and it said right there that black urine color can be caused by some foods including fava beans and I actually had plenty of fava beans the day before so I figured out that it must have changed the color of my urine and I guess that I was right, I didn't see no black urine ever again after that.

I didn't really have any fava beans, I hate those actually and I have no idea what could this black urine mean but my urine color is back to normal, it was only for that one time that it was black so I guess that I won't be going to talk to my doctor or anything, I think that I am perfectly okay and no, Chocolate Bar, I don't have any other symptoms, everything seems to be okay. If I notice that my urine is black again, I promise that I will go and talk to my doctor but not until that happens.

Hello. I would not be that worried if I were you. I think that your urine color is black because of certain foods that you are eating. Food - related changes to your urine color are typically and it can happen to every people. Sure, unless you are eating something you should not be ingesting and that can be very harmful to you and your health. To create black urine through foods, you have usually consumed some foods that are not very healthy, that you are not used to eat or food that causes a chemical reaction with your urine creating a black urine color. But just to be sure what is wrong with you and your urine, visit your doctor.

Been there, seen that! I was so scared that day when I looked at my toilet and I saw black urine. First, I didn't know what came over me, but later when I calmed down I visited my doctor immediately. And here is what I found out. When a food causes black urine, you can easily remove it from your diet. If some medications are causing your urine to be black, you should definitely switch medications or change your therapy with consulting your doctor. But, in a worse case, when your black urine is caused by a health issue, there is just one thing that you need and that you can do - visit your doctor. It could be stated that health issues don’t so much cause your urine to turn black as your black urine is a symptom of those health issues. Thanks God, I was able to remove it when I started with my diet program.

Any other symptoms beside those Guest? Because that is very important to tell your doctor. If you don't feel anything that serious, then I believe that you will be able to treat this black urine very fast.

I had this problem as well and when I went to see my doctor he told me that sorbitol is causing this.

Then I asked him what this is and he told me that this occurring in fruits such as apples, pears, peaches and prunes, sorbitol is used as a sugar substitute in sugar-free gum as some drinks, ice cream, mints, etc. It can upset your stomach, cause you a diarrhea and black urine as well. 

Did you know that several products for women's hygiene can cause black urine? Neither did I and I was extremely surprised when I find out this. 

I didn't have problems with it but my cousin did and I didn't believe her that she is having black urine. I tried to convince her that she has diarrhea like she is that stupid.

Then I did some research and I find out this. Anyway, that was not the option in her case.

She was dealing with muscle damage, because she was training so hard, she didn't eat very good and black urine is what happened.