I was actually a bit on the chilly side this morning when I was out, it was 54o. I had long riding pants and a long sleeve polartec shirt on. I found myself shivering a little bit especially on some of the down hills. Any suggestions for keeping warmer as it is getting cooler out. My feet were a little bit cool, I figure I can wear the Thorlo's there.

a) dress in thin wicking layers
b) get used to it. Wind chill is rough on a bike.

Wait until it gets down into the 30's and 40's. ;)

layers very important. I like coolmax as base layers to help with moisture transfer. Then a cycling jersey and below 50 a wind breaker with an easy pull zipper (usually a length of cord on it) to unzip uphill and zip going downhill.

How about my face and ears, and keeping them warm. Right now I am wearing either a bandana or my Fire Company hat, as a layer.

Or something similar.

I wear a tight fitting polypropolene singlet t under my cycling top - it wicks well, and keeps me toasty warm even when wet. I also use leg warmers and arm warmers - these have the advantage of being more easily removable if i get too hot. Next is a windproof shower proof breathable bright green vest - for warmth and safety, or if its really cold, i wear a long sleeved jacket made from the same fibre. Both jackets are cycling specific, so they have a tail that keeps my butt dry as well :). In summer i wear fingerless gloves, but in winter its a full hand windstopper glove and i wear a windstopper bootie over my shoes too. It doesn't ever get cold enough to worry about covering my face as our temps don't really drop below 45, but if they did, a bandana or a coolmax beanie would probably be the go. The key is to keep your ankles, wrists and head warm, and then the rest will usually follow.

Happy pedalling :).