Hello everyone! For the first time in my life I will go on a mountain climbing and I’m not quite familiar with what kind of equipment to buy for that occasion. I have a large pack, but I heard that it would be more comfortable to get a sternum strap for it. Does anyone have an idea why is it so important?

It all depends on how much weight do you wear, but I suppose you will have to wear a lot because for mountain climbing you need to be 100 % prepared. Sternum strap should be the last buckle to fasten and adjust although people buckle it first. It isn’t actually a needed thing if your pack fits properly, but since there are many different body types, sternum strap can keep your shoulder straps in correct position because shoulder straps can, after several hours of walking begin to rub your shoulders and this will keep them in a correct position. The aim is to be comfortable. Have a nice time on your first mountain climbing.

I find the chest/ sternum strap stops the pack moving side to side as much - it makes it a lot more comfortable if you are carrying a heavy load, or conversely if you are running with a small sack.
If you are buying a new backpacking sack I'd say pay special attention to the hip belt, you want large and well padded to get maximum load off your spine and through your pelvis. Also get one with an adjustable back system.
Hope you have a great trip