Hey everyone,

I recently started having this rapid heart rate from time to time. It usually took place during my exercises so I thought that it was because of that. But then it started happening even when I wasn't doing anything, for example, when I was just lying in my bed and watching TV.

I went to see my doctor and after he had done some tests, he told me that I have atrial fibrillation. I know that most of the conditions require a change in the diet, but I'm not sure about this one. So I want to know if I should make changes to my diet if I've been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation?

Hey Adria,

It all depends on what was your diet like so far. Was it healthy food? I'm into exercising too, but I don't always eat healthy food, actually, I eat whatever I want and whatever I like. So if this is the case with you, you are going to have to change your diet.

You need to eat heart-healthy food. These include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or fat-free dairy products, proteins such as lean meats, nuts, seeds and beans and foods low in salt, added sugars, saturated fat and trans fat. And of course, if you drink or smoke, you need to quit that.

Hi you two,

As Stradivarius told you, Adria, it depends how did you live your life so far. Whatever type of a heart disease or a heart disorder you have, you need to eat healthy food, heart healthy food. That means that you need to eat the food that Stradivarius already mentioned above, fruits and vegetables being the most important things to eat.

Rather than just eating healthy, you need to live healthy. Consult your doctor about these things. Spend some time high in the mountains where the air is fresh, exercise, but don't exceed your limits, your doctor can tell you exactly how should your exercises look like regarding your current condition.

Hey everyone,

Well I have atrial fibrillation and I'm doing just fine. I might be a special case, but I'm not using any medications for my condition and I keep exercising a lot, every day. But I'm living a healthy life as well, and as you mentioned Health n Joy, fresh air is important, that's why I moved to a place that is 800 meters above the sea level once I found out that I have this disorder.

I'm actually eating everything that Stradivarius wrote, I would just add fish to that menu. Fish is extremely healthy, and luckily for me, there is a place nearby where I can fish, so I eat it every day.

Hi everybody,

Well Brandon, I believe that you are a special case when it comes to atrial fibrillation so we can't really take your case into consideration. Once you are diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, you can't exercise as much as you did before and you need to pay attention that you treat your heart very good and very carefully in case you don't want to have any further complications. 

You can take the advice that Health n Joy and Brandon gave you about the food, the air and about the way of living. I think that they are right so I won't repeat what they wrote.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for you answers and advice, I really appreciate it. I had a pretty much healthy lifestyle before although I was used to eating fast food from time to time. 

Anyway, I did contact my doctor and I told him what you guys wrote here and he totally agreed with everything that you said. He told me that wherever it was that I read the things that I told him from, I can follow the instructions written there since he would have told me the same thing if I asked him first.

So thank you very much and if you have any other advice, please share it with me.

Hey there everyone.

Who knows better than you and your doctor what is the best for you? Nobody.

I don’t know what someone considers as a healthy food. For example, you can eat healthy food such as vegetables, but with lot of oil and salt. That, in this case is not healthy anymore. Second thing, you need to eat a lot of fruits, but if you eat it with a lot of sugar, than this is not healthy anymore as well.

So, if you want to make some changes you need to eat clean – without a lot of salt, pepper, sugar. Clean food is proper for you in this case. Good luck!

Hello everyone.

Changing a diet program whenever you are dealing with something is an amazing choice. You should try to change your diet program a little bit. For example, I would eat even more fruits, vegetables and when it comes to meat, I would not eat it that much. One piece per day is totally enough.

I don’t know a lot of people who are diagnosed with it, but I know that there are several diet programs or eating plans to prevent it.

And they actually work.  So if you believe that changing a diet program can bring you something good, you should do it.

Hello everyone. Three years ago my mom was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I remember that she was so down because of this. She was pretty sure that something bad is going to happen to her and that she doesn’t need to change anything about it. Luckily, her sister told her that she can try to eat healthy good and that this will help her. So she listened to her. She changed her diet program completely. She also started to eat a raw food. I don’t know is this a good option, but she is fine so far. Have a nice day!