Hello! I was at my friend’s house for a dinner few nights ago and I ate salad dressed with soy sauce which was divine. I immediately took the recipe and next day I went to shop for the ingredients. When I got to the soy sauce I found two types of it- Shoyu and Tamari. The shop assistant was unable to explain me what the difference between these two was and I didn’t know which one to buy. What is better? Shoyu or Tamari?

Hello! I simply adore soy sauce too. I even use it instead of salt in almost everything I cook. I got my friends and family all addicted to it. As far as I know the only difference between shoyu and tamari is that shoyu has wheat in it and tamari doesn’t. So if you have some wheat allergies you use tamari, and if not you can use both. They are also of a bit different taste. I personally prefer tamari but you can try both and choose your favorite.

Hi! I am too soy sauce addict. You are right about the difference but I would just like to add that not many producers of soy sauce know this too. So you might find wheat in some soy sauces named Tamari too. So, do read the label before you purchase any brand of soy sauce. Tamari and Shoyu are also very different in nature. Tamari is most commonly used in food processing, while Shoyu is most commonly used in the kitchen and at the table. Shoyu is best for everyday cooking, so in your case it is more appropriate.