Hello! I have some friend coming over for the weekend and I am very excited! I want to make them feel very welcomed since they live far and visit very rarely. I arranged for some interesting activities and what remains is to decide what I am going to cook. They really enjoy Japanese food and I would like to prepare some home-made sushi and wasabi. Yet, I don’t have a clue how to prepare wasabi. Does anybody know?

Hi! I am not sure just how well the sushi is going to turn out if you are preparing it for the first time so maybe you should consult some professional Japanese cook or think about ordering some food from some Japanese restaurant. As far as the wasabi is concerned it is very easy to make. You can just buy wasabi powder in some Asian food store or some better supermarket and mix equal parts of that powder and water. The mixture you will get should be pasty and you should leave it covered for 10 minutes. It is simple; isn’t it?

I agree that using powder is the only possible way to make wasabi if you are not in Asia. I would just like to add that you should put some wasabi on your sushi but you should also mix some wit soy sauce for people to dip in their sushi. Be careful though! Wasabi is very powerful, and if you put too much of it you and your friends will need gallons of water.