Ok folks, I'm on a health food kick to try and lower my soaring blood pressure.

What is the purpose of yogurt? It doesn't appear to have very many vitamins but most of the menus suggested to me recommend it.

Also, I've noticed low fat yogurt has more sugar and sodium than regular yogurt. So which is better? In my case I would think that less sodium the better.

I'm confused. :?

It's a good source of calcium and protein. I don't know about the benefits of lower your blood pressure though.

Just a quick google, an article says it digests 3 times faster than milk. The main benefits of yogurt are in the digestive tract, where the friendly bacteria found in live yogurt can aid in digestion as well as help to clean the intestines and digestive tract

are you on meds? or are you trying to lower your BP on diet alone? if you're on meds what do you take? (answer by PM if you wish)

from some newer studies i've read, increasing calcium intake can help your BP...sorry don't have any links to those though...

if you are sodium sensitive and not on a diruetic, I think you should go the lower sodium route, but if your sat fat intake is fairly high you'd probably be better off with the added salt then the additional saturated fat....

---
megawill

I am on meds but they have not worked thus far so I'm changing my diet to try and lower it.

I am on Diovan (160mg) for the blood pressure as well as 40mg of Pravachol for cholesterol (although my cholesterol count is 130, my doctor wants to get it to under 100). I started using 2 softgels of flaxseed oil daily this weekend.

I have cut all soft drinks out of my diet as well as candy bars and other snack foods for breakfast. I'm substituting yogurts, fruits and vegetables with only a couple of nights of meats.

For the past two days my bp has been decent, but I probably won't know for at least a month or two if the changes are truly working.

I'm always open to suggestions or advice.

I'm not on any meds or trying to control my BP GeorgiaRebelRunner... but I really enjoy the Publix Fat-Free Yogurts. 130 calories each, no fat, ~10 grams of protein, variety of flavors. They are usually they are priced 2 for $1.09. Don't know if those fit your needs, but they work for me and are tasty to boot.

I usually do one yogurt or bowl of Quaker Oatmeal (in the microwave) each morning. Mid morning snack at work is protein or balance bar. That usually keeps me full till lunch time.

Good luck with your diet.

like everyone else said, alternate source of Ca2+, has good for you bacteria (if it says active culures on the label), but potentially bad for hidden sugars...

other than that, maybe its more filling than a "normal" snack so youre not as hungry :shrug:

Well, I'm guardedly optimistic about my situation.

I know it's just been a week, but my bp has been under 140/80 all week long. That's the longest it has been under 140 in well over a year. My left arm has not been numb all week. It actually feels normal.

What I did was cut out all the soft drinks (probably a liter a day) and have had no sweets (I'm dying ), and I'm taking two softgels of Flax Oil daily along with my medication. As well as eating more vegetables, fruits and juices. Now if I could just learn to cook. :eek2:

The medication by itself did not work, if my progress continues until my next doctor visit at the end of this month, I might even see if we can't lower the medications or try a week or two without them and see if the flax oil along with the dietary changes will do the trick by themselves.

And some of those yogurts at Publix aren't bad either. Although the lemon chiffon was rather tasteless this morning.

Just out of curiousity what kind of soda were you drinking? Regular or diet?

I always had regular coke. Until last week I wouldn't touch anything that said "diet" or "low sodium". This week I've been reading those labels and buying accordingly.

The only item I haven't changed is coffee. Two different cardiologists have assured me there is no evidence that even having as much as 5 cups of coffee a day is harmful medically.

And my bp readings don't seem to be affected by the coffee. I had to keep one enjoyment as I go through this process.

Yogurt: The Golden Ratio How it makes muscle: Even with the aura of estrogen surrounding it, "yogurt is an ideal combination of protein and carbohydrates for exercise recovery and muscle growth," says Doug Kalman, R.D., director of nutrition at Miami Research Associates. Buy regular -- not sugar-free -- with fruit buried at the bottom. The extra carbohydrates from the fruit will boost your blood levels of insulin, one of the keys to reducing postexercise protein breakdown. How it keeps you healthy: Three letters: CLA. "Yogurt is one of the few foods that contain conjugated linoleic acid, a special type of fat shown in some studies to reduce body fat," says Volek.

Thanks airehead. I'm replenishing my yogurt supply today. The info comes in handy. I know next to nothing about nutrition. I've spent years eating everything and anything I wanted and not worrying about the consequences so all this is somewhat new to me.

My blood pressure has gone down to decent levels. My heart scan came back with a big fat "0" score, which is excellent. So as my doctor says, he can't guarantee I won't have a heart problem in the future, but every test he has ran on me, including my cholesterol levels is excellent.

Things are looking up from a health standpoint.

But you know it's only since I've gone back into running in 1999 that I've actually been concerned about health issues and being a little more sensible with whatever time I'm afforded on this planet. I went 24 years without seeing a doctor and assuming since I wasn't overweight I didn't really need to be aware of what else was going on internally. It wasn't until I kept reading about runners literally dieing on race courses of heart disease every now and then that I considered that maybe I need to check things out. One of the many advantages of running in my case.

Interesting. But I do not like fruit. If I eat 1-2 vanilla ones a day, still good, right?

I would think so--it's especially good for your gut's health and well being.