Hello every one, I just found out I'm pregnant. I'm diabetic T2. Are there any special meals plans? I became pregnant unexpectedly so I couldn't prepare ahead of time. My doctor is going to change my diabetes medication so I have to figure out how all the works. I'm a little nervous at this point and hope that some of you out there can give me some pointers. This will be my first pregnancy and I am really excited but I'm also a little scared. I'm sure it will work out okay but this is my first time and I want to make everything right. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know how well you had your blood sugar levels under control when you got pregnant. I hope that you had good control. If not, that's the first thing on the agenda. You need to adhere to a very strict diet and gain as little weight as possible. Gaining to much weight can cause your baby to be born premature and larger than normal. It also increases your risk for preeclampsia. Your doctor will put you on a 2,200 Calorie diet and you will need to check your blood sugar levels regularly and record your readings and you should keep a record of the foods you eat as well. You should have 3 meals and 6 snacks religiously.

A typical menu for the day includes:

Breakfast: 2 eggs or 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices whole wheat toast with 2 teaspoons of oleo/butter. You can also have 1 cup of low-fat milk/skim milk. First snack: 2 slices of cheese or meat (lean) and 1 slice whole wheat bread. For lunch: you can have 4 ounces of fish or chicken, 1 cup of veggies, 2/3 cups of brown rice, 2 teaspoons of salad dressing, some yogurt and some fruit. Second snack: try some nuts or peanut butter (2 tablespoons) on four whole grain crackers. Dinner: You can have 4 ounces of lean meat (chicken, turkey, fish), 1 cup of salad/veggies, 2/3 cup rice, some fruit. Third snack: try some cottage cheese or yogurt (1/2 cup) and 1 slice whole wheat bread or fruit. This should get you started.