I have had problems with shin splints for too many years and don't know what kind of doctor to go see. My primary care doc doesn't know much about sports injuries I don't believe, and I don't have to have a referal for my insurance, so I'd rather just get one bill, ya know. Anyway, I've tried all the exercises and stretches every body talks about and nothing really works. I know it's probably more over use than anything, but being military and, hopefully, law enforcement soon, weeks or months off isn't really an option right now. I went to a shoe store that watched me walk and I got some asics evolutions (bad overpronator) and they helped for a bit, but they still came back. Help please ?!?!?!? :(

I think you should go to whichever doctor you can get for the least money. Even if you go to a non-sports doctor, they should be able to see if you have shin splints even if they call them by another name.

Anyway, there's lots of things you can do for your shin splints. One, make sure you're getting calcium, even if it sounds stupid. Trust me, it really helps them get better and makes them hurt less. You could also look into getting the standard orthopedic things you put in your shoe at basic shoe stores. (Dr. Scholl's, etc).

It's bad to run on concrete too. Try and avoid that if you can.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna call the prosthetics center near my home and see what they say. I get kidney stones like crazy, too, so I think I may have to save the calcium supps for a last ditch thing. Thanks again!

Have you tried doing an ice massage after running to help reduce the inflammation? I don't know what a doctor will do to help you with the shin splints, as it is a muscular condition. Be sure to stretch out the calves and do some strengthening exercises. One that I have done is to write the alphabet with each foot while seated.

for the kidney stones, you may want to look at your diet. It could be lack of magnesium (Which also helps your muscles to relax).

Kidney stones I'll just have to deal with, they run in my family. I've tried all the icing, stretching, strenghtening exercises I've heard of and while they help some, they don't last long. That's why I wanted to try a prosthetic. Like I said, I'm a pretty bad over pronator.