I have been running for quite a while. While I can run for 5 or 10 km with ease I am not satisfied with my speed. I dont think that I am fast enough. I would like to improve my speed. What is the best way to do it? Should I increase the distance or actually shorten it?

The best way to improve the speed is to perform intervals. They are by far the most efficient way to improve your overall form and shape. You didnt mention what kind of speed you would like to improve; the general speed on your long runs or the sprint? The workout for these two objectives may differ. However as I mentioned, the intervals are the way to do it. You run as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Then you run very slowly (or even walk) for 1 1.5 minute. That is one set. You can start with some 6-8 sets and work up to 20 sets per session. You shouldnt do more than 3 sessions per week. They are very intense and you have to give your body enough time to rest.