I keep coming across the expression Plasma Substitute. What exactly is used as a substitute. I am interested in how this might be used in the treatment, Plasma Exchange in a patient with Waldenstrom's hyperviscoasity. ?

Plasma substitutes are liquids used to replace blood plasma, usually a saline solution, often with serum albumins, dextrans or other preparations. These substances do not enhance the oxygen- carrying capacity of blood, but merely replace the volume. They are also used to treat dehydration.

Another potential plasma substitute that is currently used in retinal surgery is Perfluoron. It has some oxygen-carrying capacity. I don't know why it is not used for other purposes other than retinal surgery.

I would suspect plasma substitute for Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia with hyperviscosity complications would be only of temporary value since it would not treat the underlying disease causing the problem.