I am 33 weeks pregnant at the moment. It is my first baby so I am not sure what to expect after the birth, but I have already put on a lot of weight now, and I am sure there will be some more to come before the baby is born. What is the best diet after birth, and why?

The best diet after you give birth is a healthy diet. You should eat lots of nice fruits and vegetables, and eat as much as you like. The chances are that you will lose a very large percentage of the weight you gained with the birth itself, and then, the weight will slowly start to come down. Nursing moms burn lots of calories, so your baby will help you lose your pregnancy weight again if you nurse on demand. Other than that, for those ab muscles, you can start exercising if you find any time! Good luck!

Hi and thanks for your answer... I am not sure if I will find the time to work out yet, but I would like to know when it is safe to start working out after the birth any way? I am sure that it is not good to work out right after you give birth! What exercises are OK, and which ones are off limits for new moms? I would appreciate any further info!

You ask a really good question. It depends somewhat on whether you are planning to breastfeed your baby or not. If you are planning to breastfeed your baby, you probably should maintain your current diet. While you are pregnant, you are that baby's only source of nourishment. If you are breastfeeding exclusively, you are still that baby's only source of nourishment. The only thing I would add is to drink more water. I used to keep a jug of water next to me while nursing my babies - breastfeeding made me very thirsty.

If you are not going to breastfeed your baby (which is totally up to you), then just following a balanced diet and having smaller portions should work out fine. Some people may get edgy about "smaller portions" but that shouldn't be too tough to achieve if you slow down when eating.

Exercises? The doctor should give you some help there but what I found really worked for me was to walk. I have always believed that babies need fresh air and so wrapping your baby in a nice blanket and going for a really good walk did wonders for me. Of course DO NOT overdo it (you don't want to hurt yourself) but just getting back to some kind of physical activity will do wonders for you and your child.

The philosophy I have about post-partum exercises is that if it took you 9 months to put on 'x' kilograms of weight it should take you at least 9 months to lose those extra kilograms.

Peace
RAMH
:-)

After a birth you should take care of your self,duration this time you take a fruit,juice,and healthy food,this are good for baby,after pregnancy,you must care about your food,if your weight gain then you do some exercise,take a healthy food,fruit,juice,vegetables that is good for health,avoid more calories food,but instead of that you take a nutrition food,I think proper advice of dietician they give you a proper advice,better for you do exercise is best for you,exercise burn your fat,this way you do it help you.