Remaining occasional blemishes were focused on borders of hair, on face, back of neck, underarm, and inner thigh.....first thing came to mind is longtime assumption that I had some type of folliculitis. I found a medical paper that said "Pityrosforum Folliculitis" is regularly misdiagnosed as acne and is successfully treated with a chemical known as "Ketoconazole" the main ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called "Nizoral". I bought it and have been using as a shower gel, letting it sit on my body for few minutes before washing off. Does anyone know anything about this? Am I having some type of folliculitis or what?

Yes, folliculitis is often something that gets easily mistaken for acne. I know this from my boyfriend. He is Afro-American and he got this problem when he shaves. It’s good you are no using that shower gel for your condition. The only other thing I could possibly recommend and what he told me that it is good is something with salicylic acid which is used for other types of folliculitis such as ingrown hair. It takes off the top layers of skin, to help prevent bacteria from clogging within the pore and forming an infection.