my son is 4 1/2 years old and he is fond of taking things that is not his, like his classmate's pencil, sharpener , pen and even the paper money of his cousin everytime he went to his grandma's house.
we caught him 4 times already and i did not tolerate it so i was pushed to spanked him. he's our only son. maybe you can give me a suggestions on how to take this things properly.

He doesn't know any better. He is only 4 years old, he has no idea of the concept of ownership or anything like that. You tweaked.

i agree, i doubt a 4 year old could be a real kleptomaniac. he probably just doesn't really know better yet. i myself stole a few things around that age and know of plenty of others who did the same. the best you can do is reiterate that taking something that doesn't belong to him is wrong.

A four year old cannot be diagnosed as a kleptomaniac. He's four and he needs to be taught the principle in life that he cannot takes things that are not his and that he needs to ask the other kids first. Children need to be taught what is right and then if they do not do it they need to be disciplined. It could be in the form of a timeout and then a spanking. The key is to be consistent with your discipline to so as not to confuse him. He's your son and not your friend. Don't be afraid to teach him what is right even if he doesn't like it.