Hello! I need to hear what causes language disorders in children? My 5 year old son has speech problem and especially has a hard time when it comes to express what he feels-it looks like someone has tightened his tongue I don't now what to think anymore for at the same time he is very shy little person but on the other hand he is not shy when alone with me but even than he has trouble spelling the longer words –he simply can not put together "ch" and o and some others letters also. I waited until now but I don't think he is too little anymore, he also has 3 years old sis and to me it looks like she speaks much better than he does. Do you think my child could be having some language disorder?

It is more likely he has what is called oral apraxia-incapability of spelling and pronouncing the certain letters and words especially longer words. Anyway my advice is you go check this out with some good and experienced speech therapist for those sort of therapy are very effective but you need to start with them as soon as possible-for I also don't think it is for shyness I am totally positive that your child is suffering from oral apraxia which is very common language disorder in children and is usually diagnosed very early in children –it even may be diagnosed at the age of 2, but also all this doesn't have to frighten you that much for even if he has some language disorders it is very treatable these days. And also it may turn your son is just so shy that this causes him trouble speaking or he could simply be what is called the late talker.