So I started lifting weights to help with my running just last week to help with my running. As it stands now, it's back/chest Monday, arms Wednesday, legs Friday. I feel better about my running and general fitness already (although i'm hella sore the day after I lift) but should I even bother doing legs? I'd imagine that lifting with my legs would help with running, but at the same time, I don't want to overdo it and wear myself down. I usually take Saturday off from training, so to give myself a rest, and I'm just kind of playing it by ear on Fridays with my running and maybe pushing myself a little less than other days of the week with the additional work my legs are doing on that day.

What is your schedule?

If you want to do a three workout per week split, you probably should change what you are doing now. It won't be as effective if you work back and chest on the same day and then biceps & triceps (arms on another day). You will tire too soon. You also appear to be neglecting the Shoulders.

I just changed over to this weekly split (and it is kicking my butt):
Chest/Triceps: Workout 1
Back/Biceps: Workout 2
Legs/Shoulders: Workout 3

Be sure to add in some ab (core) exercises at each workout too.

I just re-read your post -- If you are brand new to weight lifting, I would suggest you do an overall body workout two or three times per week (with at least one day off in between workouts). This will help your body get acclimated to the rigors of weight training. Moving to a split workout is unnecessary and probably will hurt you (more then help you) initially.

Click here to start designing your own workout:

Stick with basic exercises & keep a log. If you stick with the program, you will seen impressive results after about 6 weeks if your diet is moderately clean. Good luck!