I get these like once a month and hate waiting for them to go away... so I used nail clippers to clip it off. It doesn't hurt AT ALL, just a small sharp sting... after that, the soreness is gone virtually right away! Yes it bleeds a little, but only for a few seconds! It's way less painful to clip it off then leaving on for days...

Sounds like its not a good idea to pull or clip them off. I just read that taste buds are actually nerve endings and that would make sense, when you consider the job they do. Also think about how many germs are in your mouth. The mouth is a very nasty and dangerous place. Do you really want to make a hole in a place with so many bacteria? You could possibly get a bad infection. And worse -- do you want to expose nerve bases to such bacteria? I think we are going to the doctor.

I cut 'em off too. Usually with clean nail clippers, as well. It doesn't end up bleeding much - way less than a pin prick.

I've had mine for about three days, and they really hurt. They're on the tip of my tongue and I've been scratching them against the back of my teeth to numb the pain. I accidently bit one off the other day and it's gone, but another one popped up.

I do brush my tongue, so that might me the cause of it. Thanksgiving was pretty rough with all the salt and sugar, so that could also be an issue.

Any ideas?

I too experience these sometimes and they are quite annoying and painful. What I do is when they are white and look like swollen taste buds, i dry that section of my tongue and get a pair of nail clippers/cuticle cutters (look like little scissors) and then isolate only the inflamed bud and cut it off. It DOES only hurt/bleed for a second, but then the pain is relieved IMMEDIATELY! You could gargle with some salt water afterwards if you wish, but seriously it feels like you never had it to begin with afterwards.

Actually I do the same thing - I used to use nail clippers - now I use cuticle scissors because they are sharper and it's much quicker - after cutting them off there is immediate relief - no more playing with them against your teeth making them hurt - you just have to make sure you get the right one ;-)

Yeah, I had some kind of bump on my tongue and I was just doing research about it -- showed up after a couple nights of drinking and may have been caused by dehydration or something. Anyways. Some people say to cut them off, others not. I ended up clipping it off with nail clippers.

It didn't hurt at all! It was actually really really easy and painless. It bled a little but that was the end of it. Now it's taken care of! Easier than I would have thought.

Sure is strange to cut off a little piece of the tongue, though! This was about the size of a sesame seed.

I get these periodically, but the other day I ate a jalapeno popper too soon out of the frier and it exploded hot ass juice all over my mouth. My tongue felt burnt like normal, but the next day or so I got the painful white bumps along the sides of my tongue.

I think it was because I burnt the c**p out of my mouth that they got inflamed. It does suck, I burnt them on New Year's Eve and it's now the 5th and they're worse than ever! Should go away soon if I stop eating irritating foods and try to ignore them.. anbesol is a good idea, but i would never cut them off, damn.

don't listen to the person above me. Clipping off the sore DOES actually help the healing process a lot faster, and it takes the pain away. It doesn't hurt and bleeds little to none at all. When the painful sore is gone you can't even feel the pain.

I'm having the exact same problem with the white bumps on the tip and side of my tongue. I'm not sure how i got them but trying to pull them off hurts a lot. i had one for a few days but then another one grew right next to it..any suggestions? :-D

AFAIK tastebuds grow back within a week, so I don't think there's any serious damage to people cutting them off.

However, the advice someone gave earlier about infection should be kept in mind, and if you must remove them somehow, make sure the clippers are clean and sterile, and use a mouthwash after.

i've had the tastebuds on the tip of my tongue itch and hurt for over a week. I keep thinking they will go away on their own, and they don't. I don't know if me scratching them on the back of my teeth is making it worse or not. At this point, it's all consuming now. I don't want an infection in my mouth, but I can't deal with this any longer, either.

A simple and undoubtedly safe way to get temporary relief is to stick your tongue out. I know, your mother told you not to, but the cool air (cooler than your body temp) combined with mild dryness will actually completely relieve the pain for the time being and there is no risk (other than making your sister angry;)

whelp cut mine off and still hurts. guess i'll drink some beer

OH my god....I am so glad I came across your posting...THANK YOU. I was so worried .... i also had suspected it was from me chewing the stupid cinnamon gum the last few days but now your experience confirms my theory! what do they put in that gummmm