in your household?

I found out yesterday that some friends of mine who married are getting a divorce. During their five years of marriage, they maintained separate finances. Whatever wages each earned went into their own accounts, and they split household expenses. Seemed like they never really intended to commit to each other financially, and my wife and I thought the arrangement was rather odd.

Mrs. gman handles the expenses for us. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check from our account. She's the only person I trust with money more than myself, because she's more frugal than I am.

How about you?

We use the HIWO accounting method. Husban puts in, wife takes out.

ME of course!!

I pay bills, keep the books and deal with finances all day long... heck if I'm gonna do it at home too

I do now!

Joint everything, wife does the books. I just give her my receipts once in a while for her recordkeeping.

I balked at first at the loss of control of my finances, but a 4 month extended trip (some National Guard training) forced me to give up control. When I got back I had no desire to do that stuff any more. In fact, it's quite liberating to not know how much money you have and I definitely spend less. I only spend what I need and don't have that extra hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket.

what's a checkbook?????????

I keep the finances squared away, and hubby usually gets an allowance to play with, unless he's got tips. Tips are usually hefty ($100 and up) so he keeps that and gets more money when that runs out.

M is gone waaaay too much for him to have anything to do with the finances... I do it all, and whatever's left over is put where it needs to go, some to saving, some to M to spend, some to me to spend, some for groceries, whatever.

However... M does have a checking account with his name on it, and I have mine with mine. This was suggested to us by our accountant, in case anything should happen to either of us... all our credit cards are either in his name or mine, also. I have his checkbook. I pay his bills with it, and the ones in my name with mine, and all the joint stuff, like the electric bill and stuff, are in my name anyhow.

:shrug: It works.

When I was working...separate accounts. It just worked better that way for us.

We have 2 joint checking accounts: one for her, one for me.

I handle all the bill paying. We can each access each other's accounts just in case one of us is running short. It works pretty well. Except when she forgets to write in a check!

I am CFO/Controller of Cappy and Associates. I do a majority of the bill paying, investing, etc. Jen is in the loop on everything though, we always discuss things. Everything is there for either of us to review at any time

I do. We each dump our money into a joint account, and then I pay the bills accordingly. We each get a weekly allowance to spend as we see fit (for me, usually race fees and dinner/drinks/movies out with friends, him coffee/food on the run/cigarettes). If either of us wants extra cash we discuss it. Credit cards, different story: under $100, no biggie - over $100 we discuss. Keeps the surprises at end of month a minimum and helps us live within our means.

That's an interesting question. When I was married, we had a joint account for some time and I ended up getting royally screwed.

Now, it's separate bank accounts, separate bathrooms, except for one joint account from which bills are paid. To me, it's not a committment or bad finance handling issue, it's just a lot less stress.

(Except than when we move, he's discussed me taking over all of that and just giving him money. For some reason, that scares me.. BTW, anyone know of a good bank in the FL area, with a lot of ATMs and free or minimal debit card/online banking access? We've both got that here; it seems to be impossible to locate a financial institution with that type of account in the Keys area.)

I would love to have separate accounts. I'm the irresponsbile one, but in charge of the checkbook/bills, and not by my choice. I think online banking is the ultimate. I have everything paid automatically at the first of the month, then don't worry about it. I never write paper checks either.