due to this fantastic economy that we are having to live through, my husband and i are not able to pay all of our bills each month. to cut down on costs, we are using coupons, having no impulse buys and CUTTING BACK ON THE ENERGY THAT WE USE. It is 86 degrees in my house right now, my son and i are sweating like pigs. we have fans in every room, we don't turn the lights on during the day, and we cut our electronics time down to two hours a day. that includes the tv, computer, game systems, etc. you would be suprised at the difference this made our powerbill. we no longer have the fear of our power getting cut off.

just these little changes have really made a difference in more than one way in our lives. for once, we feel like we can control something ourselves. and also by opening the windows and letting in the light, our moods at home have been more sun shiny! which is a big thing for us after having such a bad year. our children are playing harder, running, playing in the water hose, or with water balloons. my 8 year old stepson no longer spends his days excercising his thumbs. this summer is turning out to be the most fulfilling for our family.

in today's world so full of b/s competition for who has the most or the best, we are addicted to things that don't matter. open the windows, let the breeze come in. it can be life changing.

Good point bsailer24, thanks for sharing the story with us :-)
I wish my husband was as open-minded as yours :-))))

well, i am glad you like my story. believe me, my husband was not open minded until we were desperate. we don't even have cell phones. with out his electronics and the tv getting in the way, we have family time together. it took some getting used to, but i would recomend you try it. the benifits from this outweighed the disadvantages. and by that i mean, at first we wanted to go nuts, but when we saw our bill and it was low, and then our children having fun playing, we knew it was worth it.

That sounds like a really good idea actually, although I have decided along with my roommate that we're not going to use the air conditioning for a good long time. We're trying to avoid using it as much as possible and I've had a fan trained on my face pretty much all day every day, but it's nice because the air is cool and not cold and damp like it is with an air conditioner. I'm glad to hear that you're getting so much family time out of it!

It is good to here that you have more family time. It is good that you have managed to cut your bill so much. Change is hard and I understand that you had little problems in begging. But as I can see from your story you managed to create a good plan for your complete house and family.
How did your children react in beginning?