Hey everyone,

Recently, my friend went to see his doctor and he was diagnosed with some sort of heart disease, I'm not sure which but I don't think it matters for this matter. Some people told him about this blue badge and he is thinking about applying for it but he isn't sure if his condition is the the type of one that makes him eligible for a blue badge.

He found out how to apply for it and everything, but he still doesn't know what are the conditions that you must have in order to receive this badge. So I'm here to ask you, who is eligible for a blue badge?

Hi Alan,

There are two ways of obtaining a blue badge. 

Some people can get a blue badge automatically. This is called being eligible without further assessment. You fit in this group if one of these apply for you:

- you are registered as blind/severely sight impaired

- you receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement

- you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

- you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and you scored at least 8 points in relation to the ‘moving around’ activity in the PIP assessment, or least 12 points in the mobility activity for planning and following journeys

- you have been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8). You have also been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult

- you have been awarded a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme at tariff level 6 for a mental disorder

- you receive a government grant towards your own vehicle.

I don't know much about the other way of obtaining the badge, hopefully someone else does.

Hi you two,

I happen to know about the both ways of obtaining a blue badge, since I'm an owner of one.

If you don't fit in the group that Health n Joy wrote, you might still be eligible for obtaining a blue badge. This is called being eligible subject to further assessment. Here are the conditions:

- you have a permanent or substantial disability which means you can’t walk or find walking very difficult

- you are a driver and have severe upper limb disabilities

- as a result of a mental disorder you are unable to follow the route of a familiar journey without the assistance of another person.

- you are applying on behalf of a child over two with a permanent or substantial disability which means they can’t walk or find walking very difficult.

Hello everyone. There are several ways to get the blue badge, but of course you need to complete the conditions that are necessary.

For example, you can have it if you have a permanent and substantial disability. That means that you are unable to walk or you have some problems and difficulties to walk. Also, if you have some disabilities in your arms that makes very difficult operating with hands while you are driving a car.

I know that all you need to do is to apply for this badge and you can do it online. I don’t know does it cost a thing, but if it does I think that it is not that expensive.

Good luck.

Hi guys. I hope that you are doing fine. I am really glad because I found this topic since I was not able to get this blue badge at all. I remember that I wanted to apply for this and I came to see one lady (she was working with those applications). When she asked me what is going on with me, I told her that I am dealing with difficulty in my left arm. She smiled at me and she told me that I don’t have a right to get this blue badge at all. But now I see that I can get it. What to do now? Thank you….

Good day. It all depends on where you live. I am really surprised that lady told you that you are not able to have this badge.  You can try to apply online as well.

There are a few categories about this. For example, automatic qualification: blind persons, war pension mobility supplement. Other qualification criteria are exactly what others told you; you are not able to walk or you walk difficult, you cannot move your hands.

I think that you should get this, no matter what.

Try to contact your local authority about this issue.

You can make it. Good luck there.

Hey everyone.

I am glad that I can read so many useful advice in here. I need to mention that my friend wants to get this blue badge and that she asked me so many questions about this. I don’t know a lot about this, I don’t know about the rules in the USA, Europe, etc but now I can see that she can get this blue badge. I know that she has problem with her one eye. Sometimes she can’t see and sometimes she can see normally. She went to consult someone, and they told her that she has a right to get this blue badge because she is almost blind at this eye.

Hi everybody,

I believe that you got the best explanations from Health n Joy and Adria. They wrote all of the possible conditions that you need to have in order to apply for a blue badge.

Now, since some are asking about where does a blue badge work, it works anywhere in Europe, in every country. In the USA they have a similar thing called a "handicap".

Basically, a person who can't walk or a person who is blind is probably going to receive a blue badge immediately after applying for it. Which makes total sense, they are the ones who need it the most.