I found this interesting article on web where it is said that team of researchers from the Yale and a Spanish company have developed a system to detect the vapours emitted by human skin in real time. They thing that these substances are what attract mosquitoes and enable dogs to identify their owners.

I quote:

"The spectrum of the vapours emitted by human skin is dominated by fatty acids. These substances are not very volatile, but we have developed an 'electronic nose' able to detect them".

And aside from identifying people, another of the important applications of this system is that it is able to detect tiny amounts of explosives.
What do you think about this?

Wow! That's pretty amazing ... and creepy at the same time. Ha-ha!
It's very interesting though! :-)

Yes it is interesting and creepy like you said. It is a good thing if they can detect explosives. This would be a great benefit to police. Don't you agree?

I definately agree that it would be a GREAT thing for them to be able to detect explosives!
Hopefully that will make things easier and less people will be hurt. Most definately a plus!

I think that this is pretty awesome technology although the only think I can think of is bombs. Does anyone else have any ideas for applications for this?

Hmm maybe with some research with animals? I'm not sure can they use it, but maybe it would be much easier to get closer to some endangered species. What do you think?

I hadn't thought of that. The only other thing I could think of is trying to find stuff like insects. I know that right now they use dogs to find termite colonies (believe it or not) so I imagine this would help in detecting colonies of termites as well.

Well that is something it could be used for. It seams that this has a big field of usage. I'm interesting does anybody has some exotic idea's?