Researchers have found that dogs much more than cats can improve both mental and physical health of their owners.

They suggested that dogs probably release their owners from stress, which is one of the main risks factors linked to impaired health. Having a dog makes its owner increase their physical activities as well as enhance social contacts and improve their general health in an indirect way.

People who took dogs from the shelters had been found decrease in minor ailments such as headaches, colds and dizziness only after a month after their rescue.

Dog owners have also been found to have lower cholesterol and blood pressure, fewer minor physical ailments, and were less likely to develop serious medical problems.

So, if you want to shape up physically and mentally-get a dog!

hey derrickM, interesting post, quite good facts about losing weight plus enjoining some time with your pet. great stuff man. Thanks allot for good information, I like my dog now, gonna like him even more. Truly best friend. I knew they helped with stress and relaxing but had no idea for rest. Also did you know dogs can be social support for autistic children? Kids tend to relate better to their classmates who have autism when pets are in the classroom. 

I totally agree with this. We have a few pet dogs too and every time we come home from work, you'd also be happy seeing their happy and excited faces when seeing you just get in the door. Spending time and playing with them really have a huge impact in relieving our stresses from work. :)