This is a stupid question, but how can I make myself get up in the morning so I can run. I go to bed at a decent hour but when my alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. I can not get up and stay there until I have to get up so I won't be late for work. How can I get myself trained to be a morning person

I've been struggling with this one for years. Its hard to do. I find that once I get "in a rythm" it's a little bit easier. I've been running for close to four years now, and still struggle with this issue. One way I motivate myself is to sign up for a marathon, which forces me to train diligently or I will not make it. I also have a few "friends" at this site, who will e-mail me, pm me, and give me virtual heck if they catch me slacking off. Those are the best ideas I have come up with. Any other suggestions?

It does get a little easier. Sign up for a race, then you will be training for something.

I also think after you do it for awhile it gets easier. I have never been a morning person but in the last few months have trained myself to get up at 5 to go to the gym. I did run at a high school track but that got kind of scary at times. Anyway, I feel really guilty if I sleep in and miss my workout. So I always tell myself how great I will feel afterwards. And I do feel great afterwards and proud that I drug my butt out of bed. I have a 10 year old and it is just too hard to do evening workouts.

Finally I can really see how my hard work is paying off. My running is easier, am more toned and I lost a few pounds. I think of that my alarm goes off also. :D

Rachel

Put your alarm clock far enough away that you have to get out of bed to shut it off. Won't be so easy to hit that dang snooze button that way.

:1: to that, the having a race to train for and the fact that after you get into a rhythm it gets easier, not easy but easier. I make it as easy for myself as possible, I have everything laid out so taht I don't even really have to wake up, I can stumble into my shoes and head out the door. I also have a coffee pot with a timer on it so it goes off with my alarm, so even if I snooze my alarm, the sounds smells of coffee are getting me up.
Make it not even a choice. Its funny, some mornings as hard as it is to get out of bed, its amazing how fast I wake up and how great a run I have once I'm out there.

Along with what Robp said about putting the alarm clock far, far away, also get an alarm that doesn't have a snooze button feature. One that just keeps on dinging until you get up and turn it off.

And like everyone else has said, it does get easier. Or as someone from my Rude Awakenings running group said: "There's no such thing as a morning person, it just becomes a habit that you do."

I agree with putting the alarm on the other side of the room. How about laying your running stuff out the night before, so it saves time in the morning

it is difficult, especially if you're not an early morning person. I am and still is hard to roll out of bed. This helps me: have all your running clothes out the night before. It's like you're preparing yourself to get up and go early in the morning. Set the alarm for a few minutes before you need to get up. This way, you can psyche yourself for the run. This morning, I woke up at 4:55 and thought, hmmm, i'd like to sleep a little ore but then began psyching myself up for the run: traffic is minimal, get to see the sun come up, getting ready for Madison, and feel good for the rest of my day, physically. That seems to help me. Also, give yourself some extra time for that warm up mile. It's a slow one when the body just got out of a warm bed. Good luck to you!

:thumbsup:

Shelly

Most of the suggestions offered are the ones I would think off. My alarm is set almost 30 minutes earlier than I need it to be and it is a good 2 to 3 steps away from my bed. So every 7 minutes I have to get up. Usually by the second or third time I end up staying up. Good Luck and as your body gets used to getting up you wont dread it as much.

Some people just aren't morning people either. As hard as I try my lovely bride and daughter will never be morning people.

I always lay out my stuff the night before. I find also that knowing the course I am going to run in my mind before also helps.
It helps that I have the mindset.
Lastly, feet on floor. Once I am up it is very easy to get going.

Must be a twin thing, coz thats what I do too ;)

I do the same thing the twins do but I don't share their brain!!

It also helps if you have someone to meet. It's easier to get out of bed knowing someone is waiting for you. One other thing, get your coffee ready the night before so when you finish your run you can have your cup of joe right away.

what do I taste like