Hello. I've been having a real problem with my stomach for a little over a year. I'm 20 years old, almost 21, and eat pretty healthy. I recently lost about 20 pounds and am down to 183lbs. Basically my problem is this. If I let myself get hungry enough to the point where my stomach growls, my stomach is a mess after I finally eat. It rumbles, can be a little painful, and the only way to stop it is to let out enough gas over the next couple hours. I can remember a wonderful time in my life where my stomach could be growling like mad, but once I ate, I was good to go. I know my stomach shouldn't be acting this way now. I do smoke, and have for about 4 years, but I quit for a while and the problem was still there. However, every morning when I wake up, I go out for coffee and a cigarette. After this I always have to use the bathroom immediately. The feces is also the same consistency every morning. It isn't solid, but isn't diarrhea, sort of in between mush (sorry for the gross details). It also just sort of takes one push, and it's all out. What's strange is that this only happens when I'm in NYC. If I go to my parent's house in CT, I often find that I can be fine without going to the bathroom after my morning coffee. I have no idea if it's the water in the coffee, or the air in NY, but it seems very strange and I wonder if the city somehow has an effect on my stomach. I have spent long amounts of time in CT, and my stomach problems are still essentially there. The worst part about this is when I'm in a place where I can't use the bathroom or let out gas. I have no way to relieve this annoying problem and I end up getting extremely irritable. The stress that this brings probably doesn't help my stomach either. If anyone has had a very similar problem, or has some advice on what may be wrong, or how to fix it, please comment!

You described my exact situation,and the freaky part?We're both the same age o.O

I think my problems started after I went a while without eating,so I think I completely messed up my 20 years of daily meals by not eating regularly for 3-4 days.Quite funny how the human body works,everything can be fine for Years yet 1-2 days can completely mess you up...

Anyways,I've been looking for a solution to my stomach growling problems,as the loud noise is quite embarrassing to say the least...Something I commonly try is to fill myself up with as much Water as possible once I 'sense' the growling is coming,sometimes it works-and sometimes it completely backfires,that is,the growling becomes extremely loud due to amount of Water.

Does anyone know of over the Counter medicine that can provide some sort of relief to my Stomach?

i been having the same problem i jus turn 21 n it seem like i have 2 much gas. sometimes i feel really weak but i think its mayb cause i jus quit smoking weed and cigs. i changed my diet but nothing have change the doc told me i had gastrtis i dont know hope this helps :-(

I have been having the exact same problem. I lost a little over 25 pounds in the past 6 or so months, but have not had stomach or gas issues until recently. It is extremely embarrassing to know that others can hear these noises. I have not yet tried any medications, or consulted a professional, but from the information I have just gathered online the following OTC medications seem to have helped others:

- Prevacid
- Zantac
- Prilosec
- Axid AR
- Pepcid AC
- Tagamet HB

I really have no idea how effective any of these would be, and as I am not a doctor it is probably best to talk to someone with a bit more knowledge. Most of these medications stop the stomach from producing acid, so depending on your exact problem this may not be the information you need. These are all over the counter (I believe) but some medicines that are prescribed could be more effective (there were mentions of Aciphex, Nexium, and Protonix).

Also, in case I did not make this clear, these medications were not combined. Each was recommended to use as a separate solution for problems related to stomach acid.

Hopefully this helps someone... I think I will buy some Prevacid tomorrow. :-)

Do you to drink coffee? what other symptoms do you have if any? abdominal pain??

Yeah I drink a lot of coffee. I think that may have something to do with it, but I was drinking a lot of coffee well before these pains started.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I just got the alert from SteadyHealth today.

It sounds like the coffee could be the problem. And if this is the case you may find that Energy drinks have the exact same effect. They are both very high in caffine witch speeds up every system in the body, including the colon, which can lead to diarrhea. And you did say that youv been drinking coffee long befour this problem happened, it might be that your gut is now being irritated by it, after drinking it for soo long and not to mention everyday. I understand what your saying about how you suddenly get an urgency to go to the toilet, i suffer from ibs and cant really tolerate energy drinks, coffee, teaa and foods high in caffine they just make me rush to the toilet. but it does sound like the coffees the problem. You may want to try removing coffee from your diet for a week or so and see how it goes or simple replace it with De-caffeinated coffee for a week and see if you feel anybetter. Ps. Caffinee can cause a hell of alot of bloatedness, uncomfortableness and also gas

I just turned twenty two and I have been having the same problem since a year now! And just some time ago I started going to gym which has Increased the growling part!

Hi, I have had the same problem. For about 4 years I have suffered with bad bowel movements and had full blood tests done and an endoscopy and found nothing wrong with me. I was told I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This is a very common issue and happens to a lot of people in early adulthood. I also suffer from anxiety and hypochondria which makes the symptom a lot worse through worry. Just a word of warning.... TRUST YOUR DOCTOR! Dont do what i did and start trying to find the answers on the internet. Its a really really vicious cycle. I know its IBS and nothing serious but find myself looking on the internet nearly every day. If your stomach problems get worse, speak to your doctor about anti depressants. I take citalopram 40mg now and not for depression but for my stomach as the brain and the gut are very closely linked. There are some great websites around about IBS and these are safe to look at as this is now becoming a more widely known issue.

In regards to getting embarrased about the stomach noises, everyone's stomach makes noises, just some louder than others, mind sounds like there is an alien in it. Dont get embarrased about it. I found the best was to deal with it if someone notices if humour. Make a joke about it. If they ask why, just be honest and say you have IBS. More and more people are getting it and there is a high possobility that you tell someone you have it and they will say, ' no way, i get that too!'. 

Just one more common possibility is could be. Lactose intolerance. Most dairy has lactose in it and its a sort of suger. If you drink coffee, are you adding milk/cream? Does it do this after you eat cheese? Chocolate? Again i have IBS and all these things trigger me so i stay away from dairy anyway. Wheat is also another intolerance because of the gluten. Try making a food diary for a couple of months where you cut out dairy, then slowly introduce it again and if not better, try cutting out wheat. I know its a pain but rather that the a pain in the gut! 

Anyways, hope this has helped a bit and just remember, Your not alone, Soooooo many people suffer with IBS (about 15-20% of the worlds population!). This website may interest you. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

Good luck with it all. It will get better!

Hi I am twelve and I have Therese problems also, I have gas and mush stool,sorry, and I don't want to pass gas in school, any ideas, I take gas relief pills every morning and they wont go away, worst part is when my stomach growls the loudest, we have silent reading all together, then my stomach growls and gurgles, its really embarrising