I have cracked lips and wish to get rid of them. I have been wondering how to get rid of them for a while.  First I tried Labello's peach shine lip balm.  That did nothing but made my lips smell of peach. I have been having cracked lips for a quite a while now. I do try to stay hydrated and drink water as much as possible. I would really like some tips on how to get rid of my cracked lips. So does anyone have any  tips they wish to share? Does anyone recommend  any  good lip cream maybe?

Hiya, the first thing I'd ask is are you really sure you're drinking enough water? It may seem like you're getting more than you are, but things like central heating, exposure to the elements, etc, also dry your lips and your body generally out and you do need to keep up with the old H2O. Another thing to watch out for is, when your lips are already dry as hell, you got the natural tendency to keep on licking them, which actually, makes them far worse. If you're someone who breathes through your mouth rather than nose, this is even more true. Every time your lips feel dry, apply a good lip ointment like Blistex rather than licking. 

You want to be looking for lip balms that contain petroleum to lock in the moisture, and dimethicone, that works to seal the cracks. This lip balm needs to be on your lips all the time, not just when you are feeling pain, or dryness. Just make sure to apply it throughout the day.

Do keep drinking water as this will definitely help you, but don't underestimate the power of the lip balm! One extra thing that can help is using a humidifier. As this can be expensive though, focus on the first two things.

Cracked lips is a problem that is extremely familiar to me. I have been suffering from them ever since I was about a teenager. I tried aaaaaalll kinds of things to get rid of the horrible feeling that cracked lips cause. I have tried cheap stuff, I've tried expensive stuff, I've tried natural stuff, I've tried medical stuff. And the result is that Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is what works best for me. Nowadays I get these little tins that you can buy in all kinds of different flavors, including with aloe vera which soothes. It fits right into your pocket and I always carry it with me. I never lick my lips and you shouldn't either. I don't know why I have these cracked lips but I am not dehydrated and I have come to accept that I just need continuous care for them. In summer I do get Vaseline with a sun block, by the way.

There is no magic formula here. Some people are terribly prone to cracked lips, others not so much or at all. If you are, I'd minimize their appearance by avoiding matte lipsticks and the like and try to heal your lips by making sure you have always got a soothing product on them. 

Do you have them in summer as well as winter? If so, that definitely sucks and ruins the appearance. What about the area around your lips, is that dry and irritated as well? I'm thinking you may even want to look into food allergies as a possible cause, but that's just a guess. 

Hi Kitty,

Here are some tips by which you can turn your cracked lips into sift and pinky lips:

1- Use Castor Oil and Petroleum Jelly.

2- Glycerin

3- Mustard Oil

4- Fresh Milk Cream

5- Honey

You can also buy some beauty products for you skin and body 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you for your recommendations. I do lick my lips sometimes. I haven't been licking as much as before. It is pretty tempting to lick them though. I did buy Blistex the other day, in my local pharmacy. It's a pretty okay cream. Blistex did help a bit, but my lips are still dry. I do have central heating. I have noticed my lips are drier in winter. Maybe because there is central heating when its winter. I do drink a lot of water I think, but sometimes I forget to drink. I actually have a reminder for that now. It reminds me to drink water every 60 minutes. Do you recommend anything else but Blistix?

Argh!

Advice please! Not only do I have cracked lips at the moment but about two hours ago I noticed that feeling that can indicate one of two things - having bumped your lips, or a cold sore. Sure enough, it's a cold sore :(. I know it's already too late for the zovirax to work at this point, because there's no way I can go get that until tomorrow. Soon enough it will all crack open. 

My question... is there any way that using chapstick now will make the cold sore spread to other areas of the lip? This one is on the lower lip more towards the inside so more easily hidden than your typical cold sore spot. I just hope I can keep it that way. I still want to treat my cracked lips as well though! And the chapstick spreads around easily, so...

Celebrity
Hey Lioness,

I am sorry about the herpes! That j*rk always appears when you least expect it and don't have treatment on hand, doesn't it?

As far as I am aware, you really cannot "spread" herpes from one part of your lip to another when the blistery bits burst and you spread the contents around. It has never happened to me or anyone else I know, at least. It's more related to your immune system, especially since the actual virus is always present anyway.

Keeping your lips hydrated is the least you can do in the way of damage control right now, so I would not be afraid to use ointment.

Rosie

You can put some Vaseline on. Make them hydrated that way. And try to keep them like that all the time. Never go out without labello or something like that with you, put it in your handbag or your pocket so you always have it. Because especially in winter your lips can crack easily if you don't keep them hydrated. It should pass in a few days but after that still keep them hydrated. When you have cracked lips don't put lipstick which will dry them more but only something fatty or hydrating.

Hi! I know a good cream called Blistex that would help. You should drink lots of water, being hydrated is always important! Don't lick your lips! It will only make it worse. I heard on a website some kind of oils, like olive oil, coconut oil, and almond oil, will fix cracked lips.  Rubbing cucumber and honey is very effective.  I suggest you try that.  It's really strange, but if you put sugar on your lips it will sooth them.  Oh know I remember, that milk cream really is great for this job.  One thing that I always use when I have dry lips is vaseline.  Good Luck!