My doctor has told me that I should be more physically active. He suggested running. I liked the idea. So I bought a treadmill. But my wife keeps telling me that it is not good and that I should go outside to run. Which is better, outdoor or treadmill running?

Outdoor definitely. However there are many benefits of the treadmill. It is here, in your house/apartment, you dont waste your time for preparations to go running outside, you don have to walk or drive to the nearest park or to go outside the city( which is the better alternative, by the way), there is no rain, snow, blizzard, strong wind in your house, etc. So, you see there are good things and bad things about both ways. When you have a nice weather and enough time you should go outside to enjoy fresh air, sun and nature. On the other hand when you are in a hurry or there is rain, storm, blizzard outside you can use treadmill. That way you can run all the time and have the best of the both worlds.

BOTH!!!!

I normally run a hilly 3-5 mile asphalt County Rd after work. Then I go to the Y on Mon. - 50-60 mins. @ 85% steady run. Tues after the hilly run, at the Y - 50-60 mins. of interval running. Thurs it's a repeat of a Mon. workout. Sat morns it's a long run of 2 1/2 hrs at the Y and a bike ride for 1 hr at home.

The mills give me a mental and limb break but allow me to put in more miles in my terms.

Outdoor is way better than running in a treadmill because you can enjoy sceneries. And also running a treadmill tends to get repetitive at times.