I'm not sure which grade, for how long, and how many.

Well, it's different for each and every treadmill I think, so start with something simple and advance from there. Nothing like some good fake hills to getcha goin', no?!

I usually set it between 4%-8%. It's rare to find a hill around here that's more than 8%. For distance, I'll vary between 1/4 mi. and 1/2 mi. Again, it's a rare hill that's longer than that around here.

shel,

i do a low and slow mile warm up.

then i ladder between 2 and 4% for probably only 3 miles, keeping the speed down. my inclined intervals are half miles for the most part. i have done ladder workouts, starting at 1 and going "up" every half mile till i'm feeling it, then i ladder down. always keeping that speed low though.

sometimes i feel like hill workouts on the treadmill are a waste due to the speed i run them at, but i do believe they've done alot toward building my endurance. it's a slow and steady climb. i will work on gradually increasing the inclines, starting ideally at 3 and going from there.

can you tell i like playing with the buttons on the treadmill? anything to amuse me really. it makes the workout go by faster too.

i always do a few extra minutes of really gentle calf stretching before i'm doing hills too; don't want any sort of achilles issues.

I would not go more than like 6 % for longer than a minute or two. Make sure you recover with a slower pace back at 1-2% also.

I say make the body adapt quickly and hard.
Bump that sucker up all the way up, 5 mph and go for 1 hour every other day with fast 6 milers in between.