Is anyone here who can explain me a difference between running on a treadmill and running outside? Few years ago I was running 5km each morning...then because of the job I had to quit and I didn’t have time till recently. The problem is now I can’t breathe properly when I am outside, so my boyfriend suggested treadmill. I know that there is some difference but I don’t know what they are.

Yes, there is a definite difference between running on a treadmill and running outside with pros and cons to each. The main benefit of running on the treadmill is that you don’t have to contend with the hazards of weather like wind and rain and the surface of a treadmill is cushioned for impact, which helps prevent the joint and muscle strains that are associated with running on concrete. Another factor is the motivational benefits of treadmills is that you can go up and down hills and move at different speeds and all you have to do is set the course and follow it. A treadmill can offer you the variety that running outside cannot.

Hello All,
There is a difference between both, the treadmill as well as the real road running.

Firstly, let me clearly say, that road running does not always mean you are running on concrete..Its your option if you want to run on the concrete or the grass in the park..So please remove the misconception that real road running is a concrete run..

With road running, the physics is that you are making the move..by this i mean that, the moving forward is coming from your heels and you are doing it, so you are burning some extra calories.. but on a treadmill, the forward movement is easily done by the belt and so, as such even though we are running, we are just not burning that extra calories...

Secondly, when you are doing a run on the treadmill, you are in a static place with change of forces around you. but then, when you do a real road run, you have the air around you...which may be blowing wind and when you are running, you are going against a force, which makes your body work harder and burn those extra calories..

thirdly, when you do a run on the treadmill...yes indeed they are very soft on the knees and the ankles, but then on the road running, the thrust is on your knee and your ankle joint. This on the long time, does not really bother, but if your planning to do first time road running, do not do long distance run, just keep them short with frequent breaks..this will help you as well as your limb joints..

with the treadmill, you tend to remain very goal focussed and you can keep targets and tarck of your speed and so on. which is difficult when you do it out on the road..

I do both, the treadmill and the outside running..in a week, i try to do 3 days of one type and 2days of the other type, so it balances.

But, nothing should matter when you are determined to reach your health goals and maintain them.

Hope this was useful!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck :D :lol: :lol:

I really am glad to have come across your post.....really appreciate this new knowledge...

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Running is good no matter how you do it! :-D But I prefer running outside, I notice I run faster, further, and get less tired when I run outside compared to running on a treadmill. I don't know why, but that is just how I feel. I mostly like the change in scenery you get when running outside. I also like knowing I have a certain destination I must reach, it motivates me to run faster so I can finish and go home. lol Oh and if you run with others it motivates you to keep up with them.