Ok, I am not the most coordinated person and I have less rhythm than Steve martin in "The Jerk". With that being said, I ran on a treadmill for the first time last night. (at a health club no less) I jumped on the Startrac and starter it up. After a good couple of minutes trying to figure out how to move my legs without tripping on the tread, I settled in to what the treadmill said was 4.5 mph (What a crock). After running a mile in 16:00 minutes 8O I realized that the calibration must be off (I can walk a mile in 16 min). I proceeded to do my run based on effort (HR) and time. Then when it came time to stop, I pressed the stop button and almost tripped because it stopped a little quick. Then I got really dizzy. I though for sure I was going to pass out. I grabbed on for dear life and sat there for a minute until I thought that I would be able to get to a seat. I almost tripped getting off of the unit. I staggered to the bench and then sat down. After a few more minutes I was able to stand again. My question is has anyone else experienced this?

i run on a tm at my house all of the time
it is a weird feeling especially when you jump off it takes a few minutes to get your land legs back but they do

it is the same feeling i get when i jump on a trampoline

that calibration seems way off too
that is a joke

Tracy and Mikey came down to throw in a load of laundry last night while I was running. I waved at him, lost my concentration, and slipped off, onto my feet. Felt really woozy. Then, as an id**t, I jumped back on while it was at 7mph...made it through though. Treadmills are definitely different than running outside. You'll get used to it. If I were you I would pick a different machine, though. Sumpin' ain't right.

I always feel dizzy when I get off of the treadmill too. Maybe it's because I only use one about once a month or so. Maybe you can get used to the feeling. :shrug:

Treadmills take a little getting used to because of the moving belt. Until you become really comfortable on one, try walking on it for a few minutes before you ramp up the speed. And when you're finished, bring down the speed to a walking pace before pushing the OFF button. This will help with your equilibrium.
Like Joe said, it will take a few minutes to get your land legs back after getting off. And yes, that happens every time you use one.
Try a couple different machines at your gym to see if they really are off in their calibration. (If so, mention it to the staff - they really should be taking care of them since that could cause an injury to a patron.) If all of the treadmills are out of calibration, put the incline on 1%, and ramp up the speed according to your HRM.

one other thing...always use some sort of grade
i always use at least 2% so i am also working against that distance as well

and use a fan in front of it if you get one for the home

even in the summer it really keeps you cool
since you are standing still (really) no wind comes across your skin and you really get hot...
the fan makes it tolerable in any weather for me

going from running on the treadmill to walking isn't as easy as it looks, I to have to give my legs time to adjust.

dawn

Yeah, just read my post about 6 or 7 topics below yours. :)
I really didnt' enjoy it at all, so when I was looking for a gym membership and it was between the YWCA that only had treads in the weight room for a wopping 110 and the rec at the college that had a track but no treads for 145, I chose the college. My daughter shoved a stick into the conveyor part of the tread while I was running on it. I have nightmares about tread running now.

Oddly enough--I have become use to it. Right now about 90% of my workouts are on my treadmill. I can get right off the treadmill and begin my bike workout, etc right way. No dizziness, wobbly legs--nothing. It may also be that I have had the same treadmill for 9 years now, so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Yikes! That could hurt! Not to make light of the subject, but, if you were riding on a stationary bike and someone stuck a stick in the spokes, would you go flying over the handlebars?

I'm glad I have my 'mill in my basement, but boy...

Let me tell you those first few times were ugly.

Swear to God, The first time I used it I tripped, got my feet tangled and went flying off the back of it! Good thing I was alone in the basement.

I have fallen off before. I always "feel" like I am working harder on the treadmill too, however, part of that could be the heat. I'm gonna need a fan, because I sweat my a$$ off on that thing.

I've had a lot of experience with treadmills so I don't get that dizzy feeling anymore. But if I try and watch tv while I'm on it I get like vertigo and will almost fall every time! HaHa

Well, I went and tackled the treadmill once again today. This time was much better. I made sure to look around while running and that seemed to help quite a bit. When I was done I just slowed the mill down a little at a time. Finally it was barely moving and I stopped it. I had a slight case of vertigo but nothing like the first time.

I still didn't care for it much but it can be convenient.

The thing I'm learning with a treadmill is that you need to surround yourself with things to make the experience more enjoyable...I mean where's the fun in running in place in your house?

Like Joe, I have a fan right in front of me, a TV and vcr right in my face (and I just velcroed the remote on to the railing)...I also position the treadmill next to a window so I can watch all the damn squirrels eat the bird food...

At my gym there are two rows of treadmills. I find if I use one on the back grow directly behind a tall, attractive athletic looking chick on the front row, I don't mind the treadmill at all and my workout just flies by!