For the last few weeks, I've had a problem with heel pain right when I get out of bed. The pain diminishes the longer I've been awake and it doesn't bother me at all when I run/ride/lift.

Should I be concerned?

Perfect symptoms of a mild heel spur/plantar fasciitis. So you get absolutely no twinges when running? Even so, I'd say this is a little warning flag. I'd start some icing a few times a day and also, check out thesock It's an inexpensive way to combat PF. It helped me tremendously and I keep it handy when I feel my arch twinge and within a few nights of wearing thesock, I'm ready to roll. Also, the ole golf ball roll massage under your foot as you sit here and post is a good treatment.

I'm guessing the new orthodics might be to blame too. They could either need a little tweak or you might need to back off some until the heel feels better again :twocents:

I agree. I've had PF on and off since I started running and found that backing off and icing, particularly after running, usually helps. Also make sure you are stretching your calves well as tight calves tend to make the problem worse. What happened to that yoga you were doing?

Ice with a frozen water bottle, roll your foot on it like the golf ball. No more than 10 minutes at a time or you'll make the fascia contract worse. And NO MORE going barefoot.

After reading a little bit about PF, I'm pretty certain that's what I have. It's really mild right now but I'd like to 'nip it in the bud' before it knocks me off my feet.

Genie, thanks for the frozen water bottle tip, I'll be sure to use that.

Ibeprophen works too....I battled this a couple years ago....my doctor said to take one at every meal so that you always have a litttle in your blood stream.