If my wife had some heel pain before the new pair of shoes and it is still occuring after yesterday's run, what sort of advice can you give about figuring this out? It could be an issue, I think, of the existing pain sticking around and it'll go away as she runs more in the new shoes. Or, are there any sort of inserts that'll ease her heel?

I'd see a foot specialist. Could be Plantar Facitis(sp). Although, I'm wondering if PF is becoming a generic catch-all diagnosis like Runners Knee.

I have a friend with heel spurs (A form of PF?). She has inserts that make it much easier for her to run.

I do have a question though. What type of shoes does she wear during the day? Maybe her running shoes are not causing her problems, but her day-to-day shoes are?

Pug,

Describe the type of pain and location for us a little better.

It's in the heel. :P I'll try to get some more info from her tonight.

I have heel pain once in a while. Be careful of doctors misdiagnosing you with PF. I happended to me. I just had a cronic brused heel. I moved to more cushioned shoes and it went away in a week after struggling with it for 3 months.

Of course, it could be plantar fasciitis, but that is usually pain under the arch of the foot that eventually leads to a heel spur. Beware of medical advice on-line from non-physicians. How old is she? What is her exercise routine? Does she pronate or supinate? Is the pain worse first thing in the morning? Describe the pain. What makes it worse? What makes it better? There are so many things a physician would need to know before offering advice that it would be a very difficult thing to figure out on-line. Give us more information.