I can sleep for 5 hours and feel rested when I fall asleep with the TV on, but I can sleep for 7 hours with the thing off, and wake up still feeling tired?

If it was once or twice I'd say it was a weird coincidence, but I've been getting more sleep for the past few weeks and have been waking up feeling less rested...

I always sleep with the TV on....

Stimulation = Happy ADHD Brain
I have a fan on for white noise.

Yeah, me too.
I'm thinking that the light from the tube kept me from falling into a deep sleep, but I really don't know.

Remember, your brain waves awake and concentrating are similar to the brain waves of someone without ADHD who is in the "between asleep and awake" stage.
Perhaps sleep is the opposite.

I absolutely have to sleep with a fan on for the noise. I have since I was 12.

There's real set patterns to your sleep. If you wake up in the middle of deep sleep cycle, which is most likely the case at the 7-hr mark, you are gonna drag for a long time. Sleep cycles build on each other and the best sleep you get is in that 7th and 8th hour, so pulling yourself out at the 7-hr mark makes sense that you drag as much, if not worse, than the 5-hr mark. If you wanna test your tv theory further, try it with/without but keep the length of sleep to 8 or 9 hours, that's what you really need. :twocents:

Source? :P ;)
If that were the case, wouldn't I have more dreams (or remember more at least)?
Perhaps this is why I'm waking up more often in the middle of the night too...

I don't remember the last time I got 8 hours of sleep...

Can you control how long you sleep? I can sleep solid for 6-7ish hours and wake up naturally, but I can't sleep straight through for 8-9 hours without waking up at least once and going back to sleep. Just curious. And how long are sleep cycles? Do people's vary and thats why I wake up when I do?

Like anything, people have 'trained' their bodies to do certain things. And I suspect with your 6-7ish 'natural' wake up, you (like many Americans) have too. But studies show it's the 8-9 hours that are healthiest. Fatigue, concentration, cognitive abilities, they all benefit from ideal sleep. Not to mention the effects of recovering from athletic training, like many of here need. I've said it before and don't want to belabor it because it's a tough pill to swallow, but caffeine and alcohol are the biggest disrupters of sleep patterns. And until those substances are out of a person's system, there is no real 'natural' wake up time. The disrupted sleep patterns really are altered chemically, so people become 'trained' to unnatural patterns.
From the class I took, sleep cycles are 90-minutes, but they build on each other. Saying that the best sleep happens in the last couple hours of sleep really is the case. If a person can only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, it really is almost worthless. And then getting back on a caffeine kick to stay awake wrecks the upcoming nights ability to drop off deep and get to that 8th hour of good deep sleep. From what the presenter/researcher spoke about, people don't vary. We Americans are the notoriously worst sleep deprived people on the planet and it shows in how much stimulants and relaxers we need to function and much of the fatigue and contributing to medical issues. It really is an interesting study if you find the time...just not at the expense of your sleep.

I used to do my homeowrk in the bathtub....
funny how that works

I've been sleeping good lately. Also, I can't sleep without a fan either. Even in the wintertime.

Source: A talk on ADHD I attended when Ian was with me in Maine. According to the State's expert on ADHD, brain waves of ADHD kid who is concentrating is the same wave of a non ADHD kid whos half asleep. That's why they use stimulants to "kick start" that portion of an ADHD kid's brain.

Sounds like it...Do you name/link/author/source so I can read it some time? I'd be interested to read it, I can't imagine everyone has the exact same sleep cycle.
I also go through phases where I need more sleep and less sleep. Who knows?