Well I was hoping someone could give me a detailed description of the area of the brain that controls sleep, I have a great grasp on cause and effect so its more to hopfully answer a question I'd love nothing more then to know the answer to. I've been having problems sleeping for years, its totally random almost no pattern in the cycles, although I suspect having bipolar-traits maybe a large factor in all of it. So, sometimes I can fall asleep no problem, not often but occasionaly, but most of the time my sleep pattern is totally random because I'm simply not tired, prehaps feel exaused like I should be tired but I'm just not. Infact its like my mind has day an night switched up, I can ussaly sleep by early morning. Infact its a lot easier for me to fall asleep during the day and morning, reguardless of how long I've slept, even if I haven't slept in 2days straight, I might still just be unable to fall asleep, which yes I know is generally thot to be anxiety, which is the case sometimes but that's not what I'm describing right now, I know when its my anxiety. I just don't know what to do, yes I've gone to the doctor, I've been put on ambien, which wasn't strong enough so I ended up taking 4ambien and I didn't fall asleep it just zombified me for a couple hours. Short of drinking myself to sleep when its bad, there's nothing I've found that helps. Which it doesn't get bad often, I generally stay awake about 19 hours at a time which is no problem I just wish it was in the daylight, then the times where I can sleep no problem and can't sleep at all are about 50/50....so can I get all the details on the area of the brain which controls the regulation of sleep? And does anyone happen to know if being bipolar has anything to do with it?

Yo Ho Grench,

Sleep- and waking- are controlled by a few areas of the brain and has influence from the endocrine system. However, despite medical miracles, sleep is still a bit of a mystery to good old science. The two main brain parts thought to be responsible for being awake (and ultimately, getting to sleep) are the hypothalamus and brainstem (the corpus collosum)- in the endocrine system, your thyroid and sympathetic nervous system has an influence.

Yes, bi-polar can be connected to insomnia and unhealthy sleeping routines, but if you have no other characteristics of bi-polar, it's unlikely to have anything to do with it. It could simply be that you need to incorporate some relaxation techniques and proper 'wind-down' times.

Sleep can be influenced by a lot: lifestyle, diet & exercise. Also- look at how much electricity is in your home and what gadgets are left on standby at night time. I found this a massive influence on how I slept, as electrical items emit an electrical charge and while you don't consciously pay attention to them, the stray ions have a deep, humming down. While asleep, your brain can almost 'hear' them, which keeps its alert and doesn't allow it to completely fall in to a deep sleep. Consider the position of your bed and how much you like your bedroom- sounds silly, but if you don't like a room, you subconsciously avoid the activities that go on in that room.

Hope you get some sleep soon.

V   

Thanks for the suggestions and infornation, I am actually diagnosed as bipolar, I'm sure that has something to do with it, also really glad you mentioned the EMF output on the electronics, ill try going leaving it all off for a couple days and see if I notice a difference lol willing to do anything for a chance at easy rest