The broiler element in my oven burned out a while ago, and I am just now getting to replace it. I went to our local Ace Hardware store to buy the element and this is what they told me:
1. You've got to bring the element in so we can make sure you get the right one. (I had the Brand name and model number with me, evidently this wasn't good enough.)
2. They kept the model number anyway, then called to say that they didn't have it.
3. They could order it for me if:
a. I pay $39.99 in advance
b. I am prepared to wait several weeks until they have a large enough order to place with this company OR I pay $6.99 for shipping if I want it sooner.

I did a search online. I found the element for $27.82 plus $6.95 shipping & handling. The website allowed me to search by brand name, model number and it even asked me questions to help narrow the search.

:shrug: Because they order through one or two distributor, and that's the price in their catalog?
I was reading your post, thinking, he should shop for this on-line..great minds think alike!

You can find anything online. Go for it.

I have been buying from Repair Clinic

True story (Don't try this at home):
My BIL's big tv died about a year ago or so and it was out of warranty. He decided to get a larger HDTV so they got one. However, while tossing a few beers, we decided to 'take a look' at the broken set. (he had intentions of getting it repaired).
We opened up the case and plugged in the set and turned it on. Immediately a capacitor started smoking and popped. We turned it off, unplagged it and found the offending part. We then googled the correct specs for the capacitor using the markings from the circuit board (while referencing the tv model, etc.)
BIL spent $0.30 for the part and used my soldering iron to fix the tv. Works good as new. Saved probably $100.
You can find anything online.

Why not?

Why not?
We were liquored up and probably could've done some damage because of our inexperience.

Why not?
Don't most TVs have a fairly large "starter" capacitor that holds a large charge? edited for speeling

Don't most TVs have a faily large "starter" capacitor that holds a large charge?
Yeah, but since he didn't mention that in his post, I was wondering why he said not to try it. Also, if the TV has been unplugged for an extensive amount of time, the capacitor should be discharged.

NO! NO! NO!

3 word reply requirement

sure, the easiest way to tell is to just stick your tongue across the leads! :umno:

I suppose we're luck in this part of the state there are three places I can get appliance repair parts. I have had excellent luck at the Sears Repair Center. If a no go there are two other places within a mile that will probably have it.

I can't imagine the amount of $$ I have saved fixing stuff myself.

Of coursem there's also "on line".