Hiya,

Got the MAC studio fix liquid foundation the other day and it's so awesome. Got a great finish, yeah, really nice stuff that makes my face look awesomely clear and pretty. Course the sales ladies always try to flog more stuff while you're sitting there getting your makeup done for "free" and this one mentioned that the studio fix foundation really requiires the fix spray to stay on well. The foundation is pricey enough all in itself so yeah, didn't go for that this time. but I think I can tell what she is talking about as the foundation "walks around the face" a bit if that makes sense? So I was wondering if there's an equally good cheaper version of the MAC fix spray or even a homemade recipe or something???

I hear you! I agree with you that MAC has some fantastic products, and I do go for their foundations, BB creams, lipsticks and eyeshadows when I can. Their eyeliners are really good as well if you are looking for a lasting finish. But yeah, my philosophy is to shell out for a really nice product where it really makes a visible difference, and to go for cheaper stuff where I can get away with it. The Fix+ is definitely a product you don't need for superior looks.

When you look at the ingredients, it's basically water and glycerin with some other stuff added to it, but those are the main bits. You can easily make that yourself or look for any face mist with similar ingredients. Even if they are advertised as a face refreshing spray they will also fix your makeup.

Celebrity

So, I'm not as makeup savvy as some on this board and thought I'd ask. I HAVE noticed that some more liquidy liquid foundations tend to not only not stay in place all day long, but also give your face this oily, sweaty appearance, with the shiny foreheads and stuff. So, is it the fix spray you would be after if you wanted to counter this, or would using a primer do the trick just as much or even better? You use a fix spray after applying your foundation, right? With summer coming up, I'd appreciate these tips because even with my dry skin, I have still experienced the "sweat effect".

Rosie

. Use a primer that would help before applying your foundation. Then set the foundation with a powder so it won't move out of place. There are many other cheaper setting sprays like nyx, elf, la girl that could be bought on their sites or ebay, amazon. And yes the setting spray is used after You've finished your entire look. You know a good matte foundation is loreal pro matte infallible. I don't even use a powder all the time with it. It's dries really matte. You should get a good primer and you'll be good! I use one from sacha I'm still on the hunt for a good affordable one. I may have to get those High end primers

Setting spray is also toner, water, aloe vera gel and glycerine. I saw a YouTube video and I made it. It worked fine like the others I've tried. Unfortunately for the primer is what going to Keep me in tact in all. The setting spray just masks the powdery look and locks in the powder in my skin. In my opinion

Celebrity
I generally like NYX products a lot, but haven't had any luck with their foundations. Lip stick, eye shadow, eye liners, all that stuff is really good from them though. They're pretty affordable too, which is always a bonus. I'll look for their setting spray next time. Maybe their primers are good as well? Any experience with those?

Ah, and since people are talking about making their own fixing sprays, how about making your own primer?? What are typical ingredients in primers, anyway? I'll have to look that up.

Rosie

Celebrity
Nice to see a new face around here in any case!

Sounds like you are dealing with oily skin, Londongirl? I've tried this Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Oil Control fixing spray, which is absolutely a lot cheaper than any product you could buy at MAC. It's specifically made for slightly oilier skin and should keep that shine you talk about under control in a heartbeat. Some matte finish sprays leave you looking dull, but this one doesn't. I think you should look into it. 

And yeah, some loose powder also goes a long way of course! Don't skip that though you may need to reapply it throughout the day if you want a truly matte look.

Wow, never expected this thread to get so popular, LOL. Interesting. From what I see here some folks really do think fix spray is an essential bit of the whole finished makeup look and I'm now wondering if I was stupidly tight fisted at the MAC store and should have gotten their fix spray after all... Oh well, can always fix that later. I like the idea of NYX as well 'cause that's a lot cheaper. Makeup Revolution? Never heard of them, will have to look for that, thanks for bringing that up. I didn't get a primer either this time but mind you she never suggested I get one, not sure what to think about that. 

I just use Loreal Infallible Fixing Mist, which is definitely cheaper than MAC by about half and works absolutely fine for me. Before that I had Urban Decay De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray and though the bottle was definitely nicer I'm not seeing that the cheaper Loreal setting spray I now use is any worse than that more expensive Urban Decay one. I am with everyone else who says that it isn't necessary to have the best of the best for all makeup products. There's just a few I like to get really good products for, foundation definitely, the rest can be skimped on.

I am actually pretty satisfied with MAC's fix spray so although I admit that it is on the pricey side compared to some others, I am choosing the quality that I am used to in all MAC products because I want to look my best. What I am wondering is whether the alternatives, especially home made ones, are really as good as MAC's setting spray? I am guessing they can't be. You get what you pay for, and that is definitely true when it comes to MAC makeup and cosmetic products.