K peeps, I'm going on holiday to Spain soon and I'm really excited!!! There with the hotter weather and all, I know from experience I'll be sweating like a pig with drips running down my forehead and everything. Liquid foundation is tough to maintain in hotter weather so I was thinking perhaps powder would be a better choice? Anyways, that whole train of thought triggered this thread idea about powder vs liquid foundation, which is best for what purpose. I know I am used to liquid through and through, and powder is new to me. Does it even offer the same coverage? Which are the best of both powder and liquid foundations and what would you recommend to ladies in what circumstances?

Have fun gals!

I love liquid foundations and that's all I've ever used, if you discount the loose powder I often use for a finish, which by the way you may consider when it's hotter outside as you mention. If you're on vacation and will be swimming, then a waterproof foundation is a must of course. Anyway, liquid foundations come in so many different forms that they are suitable for everyone, for each skin type. You can have light coverage, medium coverage, or full coverage and a dewy or matte finish. Can't go wrong, so long as you have someone advising you on the best foundation to get. There's some NYX studio fix one which is actually light coverage that I quite like for hotter weather.

I used to use liquid foundations and never considered another option, until a friend recommended I try a powder foundation. I have a fairly sensitive skin that often breaks out and gets plenty of clogged nasty pores, not to mention that I get really oily. For anyone with the same skin type, checking a powder foundation out is a really good choice. Love it. Absorbs some of the oil and doesn't clog my pores more. It may take some getting used to but then you are likely to really love it.

I love foundations and have a few of them. I have tried all sorts, but eventually always come back to liquid foundations, especially MAC studiofix, though they do a mean powder version of that as well. There's no better or worse, just what works better or less well for you. OK, there is better and worse, but then you are talking about brands and specific foundations and not powder vs liquid. For the holiday in a warm country situation, honestly, I'd go for the powder. Unless you want to wear makeup while swimming, which I generally don't. If you do, go for a waterproof liquid formula.

I believe BB creams probably fit into this discussion. I have switched over to using Garnier's Miracle Skin Perfector nearly every day now, instead of using a foundation, and am very happy with the way it makes my skin look. It has vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and glycerin all of which are ingredients that are very good for the skin. Also an SPF of 20 and doesn't clog your pores. Anyone who tried this BB cream before might like to know that the formula changed slightly and it's now oil free. Definitely something anyone who is hoping for a natural look and looking after their skin might be interested in.

Because of my rosacea, I tend to choose mineral powder foundations. The Bare Minerals Original Foundation, which has an SPF of 15, has been a hit here. It causes much less irritation and flare ups to my skin compared to liquid foundations, at least the ones I have tried, and gives decent coverage. It doesn't dry the skin out unlike some other foundations on the market and generally gives a good finish. When you have skin conditions, you have to be that more careful, so I do not experiment all that much.

Powder foundation takes some getting used to but does work.

Celebrity

Has anyone here tried products by Everyday Minerals/Everyday Naturals before by any chance? I've spent the last 10 minutes or so exploring their website, and they have a very interesting selection of products. They're natural and cruelty free, which is what I am looking for. I am confused as to what I would order though? Do I need a base and a finishing powder or...? I am guessing that what they call "base" is just a powder mineral foundation, but I am not absolutely sure so was hoping someone happened to know something.

Rosie

Liquid every single time! I can't even imagine wanting to try a powder foundation. How can that cover your skin? Is that even meant to provide full coverage, which by the way I most certainly want and need for a professional appearance at work and just to feel good about the way I look? My favorite right now is the Clinique Beyond Perfecting foundation which meets my needs perfectly. I do follow it up with a fixing spray but no powder needed other than powder blush.

If someone can share their honest experience with a powder foundation or explain how it works I am all ears.

Okay... I really want to mention this. I also thought that powder foundations could never be really covering. I do have some pimples and redness on any given day generally, and never tried a powder foundation before. In fact, I got the Neutrogena powder mineral foundation just as a finish my regular foundation, liquid of course, and one day got it in my head that I should try to see what it would do on its own. I don't even have the proper bush, just a brush, just the one I normally use for blush.

Okay, well, it worked really well!!! I just applied that over my moisturizer and then did the rest of my makeup as usual. Got tons of compliments actually which is saying a lot. Yeah okay, this happened today :). I am doing the same thing tomorrow!

Powder foundation does work, people! I will apply some conealer to this one spot I have on my forehead which was still visible but other than that won't change a thing.

Hiya, wanted to thank you specifically for posting this. That's real interesting that powder foundation can offer the kind of coverage liquid does after all, and your post really is making me wanna give powder foundation an honest go now. In fact I may just try with the Neutrogena one that you mentioned because it seems to work for you and I don't have much experience with powder foundations. Do you apply any kind of primer then? Anything else you want to share?

Hiya, just actually got back from my holiday and it was brill! Really enjoyed myself. Course I put on full makeup for going out at night, but I actually did end up using Loreal True Match powder foundation during the day most of the time, and guess what? I've continued using it at home as well because it's pretty awesome. I had no idea that powder foundation could be this great and it seems like it irritates my skin less, which of course means less of a need to use foundation :). Just saying, if you haven't tried powder foundation before, there's definitely plenty reasons to give it a go.