Hi, I have a question about my son. He is 1,5 year old and I believe that he has a speech delay. When my daughter was at this age, she was able to say some words and in the next year she even started to put words together. But my son is a totally different case. He can say only the simplest words. I know that he hears me and understands what I say because he responds to my questions, but with action and not words. Why is this happening?

Hi, your son is probably experiencing some kind of speech delay. But this may not be a permanent condition. Boys tend to start speaking later than girls, so you shouldn't compare your son to your daughter. There is also an opinion that cautious children start to talk later than other children their age. These children are interested in learning a little more words until they start talking. I think that there is no reason to be concerned. However, you should take your son to a speech therapist who will evaluate his state. I am sure that the specialist will share my opinion. And if the doctor determines that your son has a speech delay problem than it would be of great importance that the condition was discovered as early as it was.