Hi, I'm a mother to a 6 year old boy and I have a big problem which has been present with my son for a while now. When he was only 4 years old he had appendicitis and they had to take his appendix out. The surgery left a big scar but the doctors said that the wound had healed properly. Approximately 2 weeks ago I have noticed that there is something bulging out of the place where the scar is supposed to be. He complained about constant pain in that area, I tried to push the lump into the abdomen but it was very painful to him. What is this abdominal lump, is it something serious what should we do?

The lump that youre describing looks to me like some kind of an abdominal hernia. Abdominal hernia is the lump caused when the muscular wall of the abdomen loosens and the rupture in it is created so that the contents of the abdominal cavity, like intestines can go through the rupture, creating a formation which is described as an abdominal lump. Abdominal hernias usually are the consequence of the increased intraabdominal pressure caused by the increased straining of the muscles caused by coughing or increased physical activity. In your son’s case the hernia protruded through the weakness of the wall caused probably by the scar from the surgery. The weak wall combined with the physical strain inevitably causes abdominal hernia. This is very dangerous because it can cause the strangulation of the hernia, so you should go and ask for medical aid as soon as possible and have that hernia repaired by yet another surgery. Good luck with the recovery of your son.

I had my indigual Hernia removed and in the place of the scar I have a huge bulge it goes throught the whole scar, It seems like some sort of reaction of the muscles or maybe the skin tightening up. It hurts to touCH it and also hurts to touch/push in.

So maybe that helps some :-)

Yesterday, while out shopping for clothes, I noticed a lump on my abdomen. I had my appendix out when I was 15, so I know that doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm a little worried. I'm 45 without health insurance - which I will be receiving November 1st of this year (2006) I'm wondering, do I wait, or do I go to the ED now.

Bad scarring and adhesions can be a symptom of Ehlers Danlos. You might want to look it up, there are many variations.

I had major abdominal operations when I was 14, I am 25 now, my scars are are very long, they pull, are very tight, and both painful, and numb at the same time, I was told that they would not be visable, when I was older, but they just look worse, and stay very tender, do not know if this helps