My mother was diagnosed with abdominal aortic aneurysm.She is supposed to have a surgery in a few weeks. How dangerous it is ? Any experiences? Tnx

Your mother's doctors apparently think that the benefits of surgery probably will outweigh the risks.  You can ask her doctors what kind of surgery will be involved.  Open abdominal surgery (removal of the damaged section of the aorta and replacing it with a synthetic graft, which is sewn into place) is more dangerous than endovascular surgery (a reinforcing graft made of wire mesh is inserted into the damaged portion of the aorta through the femoral artery).  Recovery is also much longer for open abdominal surgery.  Your mother's state of health also determines how soon she will recover from the surgery.

I had endovascular surgery last month for an aneurysm in my abdominal aorta.The thrombus was 55mm in diameter.

They inserterd a stent.

I was in hospital for 5 days . I could walk one the same day as my surgery, but stayed in bed to help heal the wounds in my groin. You feel tired . To get back close to normal takes 4 weeks. In 8 weeks you are back to normal.

I wish your mother good health. God Bless!

Ranjit

Hi RanjithJust wanted to touch Base with you , how are you, anyway he still has protein in urine as we have to check it every 3 month , first went down to 12O, Second GONE  TO 19O But much lower than the 6OO when he was first diagnosed with aneurysm, still smoking,  how has your health Been anyway, wishing  you are in good health kee in touch would like to have you on email, so we could Be in touchGod B less you and your familyHeather

Dear Heather,

I am very well, thank you!

I feel as good as new. The surgery was in October 2012 which was done in Bangalore, India. The surgeon Dr. K R Suresh had done this for over 15 years in Fort Worth, and then returned to India. They have a Vascular Surgery Department which he heads. They have a team that perfoms just this surgery , day in day out. So they are good.

I workout regularly, eat good food ( and wine some times!). No smoking. Went on a trip to Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax . Had great food and wine , Did some whalewatching. My daughter and son in law did most of the driving.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Do write and let me know how your husband is doing.

Best wishes, RANJIT