I had the Novasure procedure done in June 2008 because I suffered from periods that lasted two weeks with heavy bleeding, severe cramping, and clots. I also have endometriosis. I honestly was very busy at work and didn't feel like I had the time to take off for a hysterectomy so I opted for this quicker less invasive procedure. I feel that this procedure has caused more problems than it solved. I had much lighter periods for the first six months but gained 40 pounds during that time frame and didn't change a thing I did. Then in January 2009 my periods stopped completely. From that point on for three days each month I can look forward to the worst excruciating abdominal pain ever!!! I can hardly move and usually end up in the ER with a cocktail of Toradol, or Morphine or several other pain meds to help ease the pain. It feels like I am in the worst labor ever with sharp stabbing pains shooting up through my vaginal area and completely covering the lower portion of my abdomen. Ultrasounds and tests show nothing. My OBGYN says I could have some trapped blood but it isn't enough to warrant going in surgically to retrieve it. He said I could do a partial hysterectomy but it may not solve the problem. I am only 40 and don't really want to do a complete hysterctomy at this point. I feel like I am going crazy-this pain is indescribable. I would take my periods back any day compared to this and wish I never did it. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had the Novasure in February 2009 after my doctor refused to do a hysterectomy due to my age 27 at the time. I have had my children and have my tubes tied, so I couldn't understand why she would not do the hysterectomy, but she assured me the ablation would more than likely stop the excessive and almost non-stop bleeding. About five months after the procedure, I began to have pain worse than any labor pain I've ever felt. I don't bleed at all, maybe a little spotting, but for at least 5-7 days out of the month, during the time my menstrual cycle would normally last, I have this extreme indescribable and unbearable pain. I have lost my job due to lay offs and have no insurance, so I usually end up in the ER with a crazy bill I can't pay just to knock the edge of the pain off. Nothing they give, including morphine, completely takes the pain away. I don't know what to do. I dread the time of month when this happens almost to the point of wishing I were dead. I wish I would have gotten a second opinion and found a doc who would have done the hysterectomy. Or left well enough alone, any amount of bleeding would be better tolerated than this.

I had the ablation done in August 2009. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in august. The bleeding has stopped, but the pain is excruciating and lasts for days! Each time, gets worse and worse. the most recent time lasted for 5 days. I never experienced pain like this for that long. My doctor didn't really say why this happened, except mentioned that there is probably too much scar tissue. From reading other posts, I would be that I too have trapped blood because it feels like it's trying to get rid of something but just can't. The only time I ever felt worse pain was labor. I wish I could go today and just have them remove it already!

Hi, girls. I have the same problem 3 years after ablation, but today it went completely off the wall.

First, I'll offer a little helpful advice.... next time you end up in the ER with this, tell them you've had this pain before & ask for dilaudid. It works for this, every time... period. You won't be able to think very clearly, but you won't be feeling any pain, either. I've been to the ER for it enough times now to be able to say that with absolute authority. I also have fibromyalgia, so I have a lot of experience with pain & medicines from the patient perspective.

So, my story. I had an ablation 3 years ago (early 2007). My OB/GYN said every track was hit beautifully. I didn't have even one spotting episode, let alone a period, since the day after he performed the procedure. I have been absolutely thrilled.... until June 2009.

Last June, I had really low abdominal pain start in the morning & finally asked my husband to take me to the ER that evening when it became absolutely unbearable. Because there was a dull ache in my lower back like kidney pain and the urge to have a bowel movement on top of the horrible pain that I could feel even through all of my fibro meds, they called in everyone & did all kinds of tests. Three doctors, a surgeon, a gastro-enterologist... eventually my own OB/GYN was called for a consult, but he didn't feel anything & the ultrasound didn't show anything. Along with the ultrasound, they did blood tests, an MRI, a cat scan & x-rays. Everything was normal and four days later, I still had no explanation, but the pain had gone and they sent me home. I went for a colonoscopy a week later... oh, happy day... but nothing was wrong. In fact, the good news is I now know I'm not in danger of colorectal cancer. They did an upper GI, as well... just a sliding hiatal hernia there, which explains the lifelong heartburn.

Exactly 1 month later, the pain comes back and it's back to the ER I go... a different hospital, just in case. Again, they gave me dilaudid to get me through the worst of it & home I went later the same day. I repeated this several times.

Then came a month when the pain wasn't as severe, so I muddled through & made an appointment with the OB/GYN. The pain had subsided by that time; three days after it started, but I told him it seemed to be following my ovulation cycle. Did an ultrasound, but couldn't see anything but a small fibroid. He said it must be ovulation pain & prescribed me Naproxen to help me through the worst of times. Nothing we can do for that at 37 that wouldn't be much worse; i.e. early menopause. We leave it with my vow to call as soon as it starts next time so he can get me in for an ultrasound while it's happening to see if I have endometriosis or anything else.

The next month I call the day I get the kidney ache, since after four months I now recognize this as the "here it comes" sign. He gets me in the next day for external & intra-vaginal ultrasounds. There were actually 2 fibroids, the largest about the size of a golf ball, but no signs of endometriosis or anything else that would cause concern.

So, every month except one in the past summer I've had the pain & taken the Naproxen for 2-3 days. Then, no pain at all for the last two months. Then, yesterday it hits again. Today I'm in the grocery store & it gets really bad. Around 5pm I'm sitting at the computer
and I feel wet. I get up & realize my pants really are wet... with blood. c**p! I get to the bathroom & sure enough, I've started a period. It's a full-on one, too. I don't know what's going on, but I don't appear to be hemorrhaging or anything, so I'll call the doctor in the morning, I guess. I can say I'm not a happy camper, though. I didn't pay $3,000 to only have 3 years without pain & periods. :-(

I had a Neosure Endometrial Ablation, D&C and Hysteroscope, September 2010. I am still recovering 3 months later. I too have had several issues with abdominal pain, and stabbing pain that is located in the abdominal and vaginal area in which I can hardly move. I also have fibromyalgia, and am experiencing a great deal of pain that runs a path on the top of my hips in a circle around my hips across my bottom and up the other side of my hips up to the hip area. When I stretch it feels like I have a scab that is being pulled apart. ouch! For example: when you were little you scraped your knee and a scab was formed. When you stretched you knee back and forth the scab would stretch and you experienced excrutiating pain. My doctor thought that my recovery would be 3 weeks max. I am still recovering at 3 months. I haven't had a period, but I am still wearing a TENS unit for pain and take pain meds and sleep on a heating pad at night and during the day when the pain is bad. I wish I had known that I would be in so much pain for so long. I would take my bleeding over this pain any day! :'(

I had the Novasure and Tubal March of 2008. Previously I had heavy periods that were not regular. I would go 2-3 months no period and then have a 2-3 wk period. I was told this was normal, that I just did not ovulate regularly. Well, I could not take birth control pill because they altered my mood terribly. I was either mean or had extreme anxiety. After a coulple years of that, I said I was not going to try a different birth control pill. So I just dealt with the excessive periods when they came. Well, then I became anemic. So I went back to my OBGyn and they did a hysterscopy and found a uterin polyp. So I had a d&c to remove polyp. I was told by my Dr that Birth control was my only option. I decided to get a second opinion and went to a new Dr. This Dr. listened to me and offered the Novasure with a tubal.

I was told I was a perfect textbook example of this proceedure. I recoverd with minimal pain and bleeding. I never had a period again.
I loved this proceedure.

Well, November of 2009 I started having extreem pain in my lower left pelvic area. The pain was also in my lower back and went down the top of my left leg. I was told probably kidney stone. Went for CT scan and I did have an unobstructive kidney stone, but it could not be causing the pain. Nothing else seen wrong. Had Ultrasound and Transvaginal with my OBgyn and he said was probably gastrointestinal and to see another Dr. Had colonoscopy. Everything fine. Pain finally went away. It lasted about 2 weeks and was not constant only seemed to start in early evening get worse and then finally subside. Feb of 2010 the pain came back again on same side. Again went and had test run. My obgyn did a test for Intercystial Cystitis too, but not sure. Was given vicodin for pain. This did not help. I started to see a chiropractor because no one else could give answers. He did x-ray of my back and found a very thin disk in my lower back. So started adjustments. Pain ended probably 2 weeks after starting. I continued with the Chiro and was pain free for almost 8 months until now. Pain started in December but not bad. I could take Aleve or Tylenol and it would go away for a few days. But I noticed I was taking more and more until Jan. 20,2011 when pain became unbearable and now on the right side. I went to ER and had two doses of Morphine before pain went away. I was a 9.5 on a scale of 1-10 for pain. I still felt something but could ignore. Had Ultrasound done at hospital and found my Uterus has 2 large cysts in muscle wall and is slightly enlarged. Went to OBgyn and he said that the results from ER were pretty much same as last sonogram except for a new cyst on the right side of uterus. He believes a hysterectomy will give me relief. If not, I can go on meds. for the Intercystial Cystitis to see if it helps. I have my LAVH (laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy) in a couple of weeks. I mentioned to my Dr. That reading up on my symptoms, if it could be adenomyosis. He said probably. I can't believe I am looking forward to this operation!

oh , boy where do i begin, sorry for not using all proper forms of writing , my pain is so severe it hurts to type, why youi ask..........here goes.... 2007 i was having so much pain in my pelvic area/lower back and hips. my obgyn after doing a laproscopy said i had no endometriosis or fibroids but suggested the Nova sure procedure for some what heavy bleeding and mostly pain!Mind you i was only 27 with one child. It was no 90 second procedure for me first all, i was in surgical room in hospital where i stayed overnight. I expercianced the worst pain ever in the first 3 months than i had ever before... Now 4 years later Im still experciencing this terrible pain in my low back ,hips, buttock, and widespread through my body... I would say Ive been to e.r.'s all over my county and further ( funny thing is when you check in and go over all medical history they are dumbfounded when i say i had a nova sure,"huh whats that").. So amp me up with all sorts of pain meds , x rays , cts, mri's and so on.. It ends in one of two ways everytime. 1. they send me home on pain meds and have me follow up with pc doc. 2. Tell me or my husband that Im crazy and its all in my head! You have no idea how many times i have been basically kicked out of er's becaz im apparently crazy! So doc after doc new old and same problems , no one can help, not even a pain speacialist or a (PHYSCIATRIST..lmao) after injections and tons of meds ,, nothing helped..................So let me say this , I dont hate doctors just am very afraid of them now. So i take my painmeds and try my best to go on with my life, That worked for 1-2 yrs ...2009 now im in sooooo much pain and confused sad and more because i cannot move my right leg sometimes my foot goes numb all the time and my hip has this dull stabbing ...something pain thats indescribable. Im scared . After breaking my ankle because of my leg not responding like it should , i had to have surgery to remove the swelling. Doc then says i have arthritis in my ankle for sure. Mind you that i have terrible pelvic pain and so on... so I do some reasearch online about my syptoms.. after getting a little idea of what may be the cause i beg my pc. doc to test me for R/A, it came back postive enough for me to see a rhuematologist..I do not have R/A but I have been diagnosed with sacriolitis, and spondyloarthrapie, also fibromylgia... Low and behold Im under going more test for a better diagnosis of the spondyloarthrapie . and Im so certain that as i post this I have spoken with my doc and suggested possible reasons for a possible bowel problem (Nova Sure) he is doing reasearch and im seeing another new doc and will have to under go more testing! Whether or not this is related to the Nova Sure , I am certainly sticking by my opinion of NOT EVER HAVING THE PROCEDURE DONE!!!!!!!! My opinion is that obgyn's dont do enough reasearch into why your having so much pain or discomfort, If I had these problems as he was treating me diagnosed properly than i could possibly be able to have another child , If some of these problems occured because of it well then make your own opinion................................. Cat

If any one has or has had any problems like mine please respond to my email as i will probably not recall this site because of memory problems as well now............ ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

So is this procedure worth doing?? Especially in the perimenopausal stage?

Yes! I too Have experienced this horrific pain so much so that my coworkers know to stay out of my office the first two days of my cycle. I would rather have the bleeding than this cramping!!!!!!

I too had such sever pain it felt like someone was taking a baseball bat and hitting my abdomen. I started a daily regimin of 2 Aleve in the morning when I wake up and 2 when I have dinner every day, don't skip one day EVER. It makes the symptoms livable, I still have the horrible bloating and some pain but it is definitely better.

I'm only 32 years old, and my doctor won't prescribed anything but Aleve. The pain is so strong it runs down to my legs and feels like a knife is on my spine...All thanks to ENDOMETRIOSIS! :-|
Quote:

I just had an ablation 2 weeks ago I have pressure in my bowels a feeling like I have to go but can't and mild to severe back pain. The pain during and after the ablation was excruciating!!! I have an appointment for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks the Dr. says he has never heard of my symptoms I have, but after little searching I have found there are more of us out there all with a little different symptoms I don't know exactly how I should move forward. I did this procedure to get relief from discomfort not to have more. I've lost about 15 pounds afraid to eat because of the bowel issues. I am very frustrated and a lot scared.

i had my EA three months ago . i too had problems for about a month with my bowls . my doc wanted me to have a colonoscopy. but i declined. instead have changed my diet . bran flakes and musili for breakfast and a glass of oranage juice every day . it seems to have worked for me. otherwise results of op great . no bleeding at all . its worth a try .

Yes!!!! I am post procedure now as of 6/29/12 on july 12 I started with the excruciating pain and asked the doctor. She advised part of the "healing" process since it's only been a couple weeks. It lasted for about 2-3 days then I felt like a million bucks. Well again now on August 12 I have experienced the same problem but more intense than the first. Dear god - is this going to be an every month ordeal? I cramped with my period but nothing like I'm feeling now....I have not experienced the weight gain YET! and pray I don't! Considering I just spent the last 8 months killing myself to lose 35 pounds from the other "hormone" treatements we tried to correct my problem. The pain is almost crippling when its happening and Ive literally had my legs buckle under me from it. I generally have a very high pain tollerance but this is insane! The pain is not even like period cramps...it almost feels like a severe abdominal bug. The lower part of my stomach swells like im 3 months pregnant and then the pain travels into my vagina and around into my rectum then down both legs! All I keep being told is it is too soon to diagnose.....my internal exam showed everything healing beautifully and ahead of schedule....HELP!!!!! Any suggestions or anyone else in this much pain after....I have suffered with female problems my entire life and was truly hoping this would finally alleviate them....Im only 39 but when this happens I feel like Im 99

I had my Novasure 2 years ago and up til this month I have been okay with the exception of one time a year ago which led to ultrasound finding nothing.  Now I am going back to the doc that did the ablation tomorrow to ask him why I am having all this pain, cramping.  Worse than anything I ever got with my periods before. I would bet he will recommend hesterectomy after my visit.  I too having pain in my bladder and with bowl movements. Since Monday and today is Thursday...aweful..