I heard this somewhere. 

Shea butter is so rich and oily and acne prone skin is already too oily of itself, so that just doesn't sound right to me at all. You never know though so I wanted to check in here and see what other people have to say. Can acne really improve when you use shea butter on your skin? And if that is true, how does that work? Wouldn't it send sebum production into extra overload causing more acne rather than less? 

Solve this mystery for me one way or another please! I'm dying of curiosity here. 

Ah, this is a fascinating question! Yes, shea butter is very oily, but that is not the point here. It also has antibacterial properties, and keep in mind that almost all acne is at least impacted by bacterial populations. What people are suggesting when they say you should use shea butter to help with your acne is to leave it on overnight, as a facial mask as it were. You then wash it off in the morning. 

So the point is not to substitute shea butter for your normal moisturizer - far from it - but to add it as a mask routine. You will still use the same facial cleansing method as before and will still use a cream for oily skin. 

Celebrity

I have very dry and sensitive skin myself, and shea butter is great for me. It helps minimize those very dry patches that I have on my skin. Surprisingly though, shea butter may be one of a very few products that are also good for oily skin. I know it is not meant to be comedogenic, which means it should not cause you to break out. That does not automatically mean it will heal your existing acne, but it should at least help keep your pores open. 

What it will actually do to the greasiness of your skin, that I don't know. It would be an interesting thing to try though. 

Rosie

I don't shea butter is particularly good for treating acne at all. It is good as a moisturizer, I know that much, but doesn't the acne spot need to dry out instead of being moisturized? I think it might close off the pores even more and cause new acne spots. But I am no expert. I don't have acne. I do have shea butter but I don't really use it for on my skin either, more for lips and as a foot cream. For reason I just don't fancy it on my face. That's just me though. Maybe if you made it into a cream with other ingredients like tea tree and aloe vera that might be a different matter.

Hello, I used to have acne myself. It took me a while to find a something to help it. Then I heard somewhere on the internet that shea butter helps. I wondered if it really helped. I decided to try it to see if it will help my acne. It actually worked really well!! You just apply it to the acne, and then you leave it there for 8 hours. I did it a few times and eventually it went away. So I definitely recommend that you use shea butter. You also might wonder why it helps. It helps because shea butter contains some anti bacterial stuff in it.

I agree that using shea butter sounds completely, completely counter-intuitive for people who are suffering from acne and have an oily skin type. 

You would be surprised, though! I have heard from numerous people who have experienced a great improvement after using shea butter, both people I know personally and people on the internet. 

One thing that shea butter does is to fade scars and hyperpigmentation, which many people with acne encounter of course. And though it seems at first sight to be "greasy", shea butter in fact absorbs into the skin very easily and completely, meaning you are not left with a nasty residue. 

This is absolutely very much worth trying. Don't knock it until you do. 

Hi, I have never used Shea butter.

Shea butter won’t remove your scars, but it could certainly help make the scar softer, so you can avoid that tightness you feel sometimes with scars.