Both my uncle and my father are alcoholics. They have been drinking for years. They can’t stand a day without an alcohol but luckily they are not those abusive types and they don’t molest their families ( as if heavy drinking isn’t enough). My uncle has suffered an acute pancreitis and I heard that alcoholism is one of the main risks to develop this condition. I am interested in the symptoms of this disorder. Is there anybody who can help me!

Hi there! I am sorry that you and your family members need to go through such problems like alcoholism. My father died of alcoholism. He also suffered from pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis begins with pain in the upper abdomen that may last for a few days. The pain may be severe and may become constant—just in the abdomen—or it may reach to the back and other areas. It may be sudden and intense or begin as a mild pain that gets worse when food is eaten. There could be other symptoms like: nausea, vomiting, fever and rapid pulse. A person may also develop a swollen and tender abdomen. Severe cases may cause dehydration and low blood pressure. The heart, lungs, or kidneys may fail. If bleeding occurs in the pancreas, shock and sometimes even death can follow.