A colleague of mine has Pancreitis. What are the best foods for him to eat without experience pain.

I had pancreatitis a few years back and honestly the best food would be small amounts of jello or broth or easy to digest food. I was in the hospital and received NO food for days and then they started me with jello and soup and stuff. Eventually I could eat small amounts without pain. Hope he feels better.

You didn’t say if your colleague suffers from acute or chronic pancreatitis. In both cases it is important to take some changes in your attitude towards nutrition and life habits in general. People who suffer from acute pancreatitis usually recover completely but those who suffer from chronic suffer from pain and malabsorption of certain nutrients. In both of these conditions it is important to keep your pancreas healthy.

In order to do so a person should start eating smaller meals instead of large ones because the more you eat, the more juices pancreas needs to produce. Fat intake should be cut down and the amounts of allowed fat intake are usually discussed with a doctor. If a person eats less fat, they will suffer less from loose and oily stools. It is also important to discuss with the doctors which fats a patient is allowed to eat because some fats are essential. Most of the calories used for energy should be taken from carbohydrates in form of grains, vegetables and legumes. Having enough fluids is more important because dehydration can irritate pancreases even more and worsen the pain.