Hi, my father was diagnosed with pancreatitis and I am very worried about him. Can you please tell me more about the characteristics of this disease and if it could be cured. Can he suffer any permanent damage? Thanks

Hi there! I am sorry about your father’s health. You didn’t say if he was diagnosed with acute or chronic pancreatitis. I mean both of the conditions are serious and may create complications but acute is kind of less dangerous as it resolves over time but may also leave scars. Chronic pancreatitis is dangerous because it doesn’t resolve but it continues to destroy pancreas. This disease may also cause destruction of other organs as enzymes and toxins can get into the blood stream and have a negative influence on the heart, lungs and kidneys. If the disease is chronic it may bring negative mental effects and ruin the life of the person affected and their loved ones. It is important that your father keeps doing his regular activities (as far as that’s possible), keep in touch with his friends, maybe even join a support group and doesn’t lose his hope. Working closely with a doctor and using appropriate medication would certainly make a difference. If your father has been drinking a lot, it is crucial he stopped and committed himself to a healthy diet.