Hello, i had my tonsills removed on 4/17/09, today is day 10 for me. I had been doing alot of searching on the internet for the answer all the stoners are looking for. For what i have read smoking is different for each person some report some bleeding some dont, so i guess there is a risk on that. BUT then theres the vaporizer most of the things i read indicated that was the way to go so i tried i. Day 2-4 i vaporized, (5,6,7, ran out it sucked!!!!!!). Day 8-9 i vaporized evrything ok. Until today this morning 4/26/09 about 12:17am i woke up bleeding i did the whole gargle with cold water it worked at first but every 15 to 20 minutes it would bleed, i devloped a huge clot, i had to get my right side cauterize once again. It suxs but is not as bad like the first time since it was only a little bit. I think that i didnt bleed because of the vaporizer, but since marijuana makes your mouth dry and since the scabs where falling down made had cause it to dry it too much and open up during the night. I Hope this is helpful if you do decide to smoke or vaporize.

Hi: If I understand you...You are recovering from a tonsillectomy, and you are smoking marijuana during your recovery. Wow! I want to be helpful, so I will just give you some facts about marijuana, that you may already know. Marijuana has some toxic chemicals in it. You have vulnerable tissues in your throat area that are now being exposed to those additional chemicals. I will leave you with those facts so that you can make more informed decisions. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Let us know how you are doing.

Maybe you should find research that wasn't uncovered by republicans, marijuana contains more chemicals, but cigarrettes contains chemicals that are infact a GREAT deal more harmful to your body and should not be used period.

It's unfortunate you beleive it would be better to have a cigarette if you choose to smoke a substance during recovery.

marijuana has no bad chemicals in it, if it did, there would have been cases of deaths or sicknesses from marijuana, it has been known longer than cigarettes, they have never linked it to cause accidents, the only side affects from marijuana is being tired afterward, but oh well, smoke before bed and youll sleeep like a baby, and short term memory loss if you smoke all day every day. The only reason that the govt doesnt want marijuana legal and the reason they talk c**p about it, is because it is too hard to regulate. Marijuana is the easiest thing to produce, you plant the seeds, treat em right at first, and theyll blossom, they basically dont need any maintainance, and after its grown, you just smoke it up right afterward. Tobacco is legal, because they can make money off of it, because it is too much work to produce tobacco and then everything else, same thing with alcohol, they both take too much effort. Marijuana is care free.
This is the only reason that the govt is saying why its so bad for us., And yes, any kind of smoke is an irritant, and with open cuts, you should not expose them to smoke, but thats your choice

You are wrong. Admittedly smoking anything after Tonsillectomy will harm the recovery process, but Cannabis does not contain anywhere near the amount of toxic chemicals as cigarettes. In fact it doesn't contain one. Marijuana is the safest thing you could ever do. Ever. Humans have an Endocannabinoid System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system) to boost this system in to doing it's job it needs Cannabinoids, which can only be found in the Cannabis plant, this system helps your body protect itself against every disease known to man. I will leave you with those facts.

Hell yeah ma man!

how do that even make sense? the marijuana plant is grown from the ground. no added chemicals. tabacco, on the other hand, grown from the ground as well, has ADDED CHEMICALS such as tar, and nicotine. i just had a tonsilectomy, obviously quitting smoking. but maijuana, doctors are recommending this for many things now a days. and if its vaped weed i would agree to it. now im no doctor obvioulsy. haha

I just wanted to commet that the origial poster spoke of using the vaporizing method. "Using a vaporizer avoids the burning process and, consequently, eliminates the majority of the health problems associated with smoking."

Obviously, no smoking of any kind would probably be best, because filtered through a bong or vape (or not), it is still harmful to your wounds. I am on day 3 after my surgery and have ht my bong filled with ice a couple of times, but only because It was either take a hit to calm my stomach or vomit and possbily cause more damage.

I will be happy when I am able to smoke freely again, but until then I am keeping my bong hits to an absolute minimum.

most of teh persons who stated marijuana isnt harmful like cigarettes are right. i am one who suffers Rheumatoid Arthritis and i have a pinched nerve in my hip from a PIN that i had to get when i was 12. i also have ASTHMA since birth.. i am going to state that as a child i have my tonsils removed. i DIDNT smoke at all at the time and i STILL experienced post op bleeding once i was released. so it doesnt mean that one thing or another caused the clots to drop and it to begin again. this can happen to anyone. CIGARETTES aggravate this condition. it is common in those with clotting disorders. it is also just something that can happen if the BACK part of the toung rubs the spot and gets it moist enough to FALL OFF.. i feel this way if you feel the smoking pot helped cause the bleeding and are having fears about it may i suggest that you go to the store and buy your favorite brownie mix. and add the weed to it... then cook and enjoy... yes i know it isnt the same experience as a joint or bong or pipe but it will still get you the way you want to be just the long route... hope this helps you out friend in bud...

Look, there's a LOT of bad info both ways on this page but here's the general answers. Firstly, as a medical marijuana patient i actually asked my doctors (surgeon, and general practitioner). I'll get to their response's in a moment. Now, dont be ignorant, cigarettes are worse in every way. I think most people accept this as fact and regardless it just is. Smoking (any substance) isn't good for you as it is a carcinogen(can cause emphysema/asthma at the very least). It can be especially carcinogenic depending on how you smoke. Paper and blunts contribute to these problems. Bongs, bowls, and bubblers are better but not all the way clean. You can see this in the resin that accumulates inside your piece(and hence; throat and lungs).  Don't forget you are also imbibing small quantities of whatever fuel you used to light it (lighter fluid, match stick.etc..) Theoretically, vaporizing weed eliminates these problems, but as marijuana has hence to forth been illegal; very few reliable studies have been done on the matter. For those with volcano vaporizers you will notice some resin does collect in the bag over time.  Still, experts agree this is the cleanest way to "smoke". Marijuana is a pain killer, a cure for nausea, increases appetite, and can help you sleep. It is prescribed as such. 

Now, to answer the specific question as well as relay the information i received from my doctors. After a tonsillectomy/adenoid removal the most dangerous things that may happen are bleeding and infection. To avoid infection you will want to keep your throat from receiving any dangerous contaminants until the wounds are fully healed. Bleeding is very dangerous and occurs in only about one percent of tonsillectomy patients. If this happens please seek medical attention immediately! There are any number of reasons this might occur, but the most obvious has got to be dehydration. Keep that mouth moist. This is the primary reason smoking/vaporizing is dangerous after your surgery. It dries you out. Hydrate! Smoke is an irritant and could cause inflammation. This too can cause bleeding, but it will cause pain. Bleeding most commonly occurs about day 8 or 9, when the scabs come off. THE BEST ANSWER is obvious, dont do it till you have made a full recovery, likely 2-3 weeks. If for whatever reason you do it earlier, a vaporizer is a better choice but can still dry you out. Hydrate! My doctor told me i'd be fine to use a vaporizer by day 10. That, in fact, i could use it earlier but it was at my own risk. Every patient is different, and recovery talkes more or less time depending on a range of factors. In my case, i asked the doctor on day 6 if he thought it was safe for me to start vaporizing. He said it may well be, but that to be safe i should hold off a few days so i didn't make the pain worse. I agreed as the pain was significant. I am still in the process of healing and the pain is still slowly subsiding. I've decided to let that be my guide as to when i will vaporize. I wont do it till the pain and swelling have almost completely gone and i feel i am out of the woods in terms of bleeding. No earlier than day 10. I encourage you to talk to your doctor openly and honestly about your smoking/vaporizing habits as they are the only people fit to provide the best course of care for you.  All of this would seem like common sense to me, so use your best judgement. Hope this has been helpful!

Try reading a book or watching a documentary about Marijuana before you start preaching about it. Seriously watch one on Netflix and get your facts straight. They would not be prescribing Medicinal Marijuana to people with terminal illness (people like MY father-in-law) if it had "harmful toxic chemicals" that were going to kill people in it. The EARTH gives us this plant, this "harmful drug". Marijuana does much more good than bad. It stimulates the appetite, relieves nausea, muscle spasms, eye pressure, it lifts mood and is used as a medicinal resource in the treatment of disease and illness' from cancer to arthritis, and more. 

Wow your ignorant! Either stop listening to ur daddy that's a police captain or stop looking up stuff on wikipeida! Don't waste us stoners time and information.

About 438,000 people died from smoking cigarettes each year. And 0 ever died from smoking weed! So dont say weed has more toxic chemicals the cigarettes. Common sence tells you. I rest my point.

YES! <3 STONERS! I HATE THAT COP BS!!!

no toxic chemicals in marijuana...no additives...no nothing.....no one ever died from.... people even die from sugar, alcohol, cigarettes and fast food and even fluoride ..............often...... people die from believing BS stated by governments.