i normally run 2 miles every other day. dec 23 i had the day off, so i decided to run 10 miles (pretty much just to see if i could). knowing i didnt have a lot of miles built up i decided to run 1 mile then walk a lap till i hit 10. at 5 miles, i starting drinking a decent amount of water and also ate a banana energy bar. i hit 7 miles and my quads starting cramping pretty badly, so at 7.5 i started stopping at every half mile and stretched them out (drinking water at these times too), at 8.75 miles my quads cramped up so badly they caused pain and i could not get them to loosen up, game over until next time.

For the last several days the outside bottom of my feet have hurt. if i walk on the ball of my feet, they hardly hurt at all. so, is this because my feet are not conditioned yet? or do i have a problem with incorrect gait?

Why did my quads cramp up? not enough water and energy bars? or again, just need more conditioning?

thanks for the help,
Kel

Hi Kel,
How long have you been running 2 miles every other day? Jumping from 2 to 10 is a big jump no matter what. I'm not surprised you cramped. Your muscles probably weren't ready for that workload. It's possible you were a bit dehydrated also since you didn't start drinking much til mile 5. Once you feel thirsty, it's too late. Try to stay hydrated, drink before your run, and during it consistently.

It's possible your feet hurt from the pounding they took. Ten miles is impressive! They may be a bit tender after all that.

Nice job with the distance. Next time, work your way up to it. You're still doing tons more than most people.

Hi kattzoo,
i've been running for about 6 months now. i did this about 3 months ago and put up 5 miles (didnt hurt as bad tho, lol). the only prob i have is that with my job and stuff, i cant get the 2 miles every other day very consistently. but, it makes me feel good to run and push myself so il prob just keep doing it! :wavey:

I would just think that you jumped up in your distance too quickly. Two miles to ten miles is huge! I don't know how many times you've run 5 miles, but going from 2 to 5 can be a big jump.

As for the feet hurting, what kind of shoes do you have? How old are they? How many miles have you run in the shoes?

Hey Pug,
ive got good shoes. asics. less then 120 miles on them. i went to a specialty shoe store in tampa fl and the owner seemd real knowledgeable and was very helpful. ive never had lasting foot pain before, so im assuming the shoes are not the prob.
like you said it may be the big jump. i prob wont do that again for another coupla weeks....lol.
Kel :o