Hi!

The title says it all, really, but I'll elaborate some. I periodically suffer from dry skin on the forehead and cheeks, and now is another stint. It is far worse than anything I have ever seen this time though, with skin actually flaking off and being very visibly dry, and only on the forehead not on the cheeks as well. In addition, I have red bumps on my forehead that look unlike any pimples I have ever had. This has been going on for perhaps a week now. I have no idea what is causing this and really want it to go away. Can you help?

Hey Kitty,

Well, I wish that I had some advice for you. As it is, I am right there with you. I am using a microfiber face cloth, a dry skin brush, and good cleansers and moisturizers to dry to combat the flaking and dryness. So far, I have unfortunately not seen any changes yet. The raised bumps on my forehead drive me crazy, because I have no idea what they actually are, so I can't look up what remedies might offer an improvement. I have changed my moisturizer to a natural one and they are still there, so at this point I am essentially ruling out a reaction to cosmetics.

I hope someone else has advice.

For dry skin, you really have to make sure that you follow a decent skincare routine. That involves exfoliating regularly and cleansing, and using an excellent moisturizer. I have had luck with Xtend Life day cream. I also like avocado oil. The red bumps do suggest you may be allergic to something, if you are sure they aren't whiteheads (raised bumps, a type of acne). If you are not sure what you are dealing with, you could always ask your family doctor or a dermatologist for advice, but my first idea would be to change up your routine, use nourishing products, and exfoliate. 

Celebrity

About those bumps on your facial skin, could they possibly be sebaceous cysts? These can be removed through a minor surgical procedure or by laser therapy. These aren't dangerous on the whole, but they can in some cases become infected and you are right to seek treatment for them. Antibiotics can also help. 

As for the dry skin, could you use a combination of a very nourishing moisturizer, vitamin C serum, and exfoliation? Because you do have those bumps, I would choose natural products free from chemicals while you determine the cause of those bumps. Certain products may worsen them, depending on the cause.

Ugh. Dry skin sucks. Some things that really help some people get rid of their dry skin are..... Staying away from really hot baths and showers, or really hot face washes. That stuff dries your skin out, so go for warm rather than hot, kwim? Besides, at this time of year, assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere in someplace quite cold, it's often the heating that dries your skin out. An air humidifier can help you with that an awful lot. You also need to be looking for really gentle cleansers made for dry skin, and good moisturizers. Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with something from Dr Organic, which also don't include no chemicals and stuff like that, which can obviously really irritate the skin. 

My feeling is if you do these things, yeah, you will end up with less dry skin and you'll perhaps also manage to get rid of them bumps, which yeah, I gotta say no idea what they could be other than whiteheads. If they don't go mind you, there's no shame checking in with your GP about it. That's what they're there for, you know? Nobody wants blemished skin and there's a chance it could be some kind of allergic reaction or something, so you'd definitely not be a whiner to do that. 

The previous poster had a good point about environment factors contributing to dry skin. However, just making lifestyle changes alone likely will not be enough to achieve supple and elastic skin. You have to throw the right cosmetics at your skin as well, and what's more, in the right way. One tip someone gave me a long time ago that has really helped me is to moisturize on damp skin. This binds moisture to the skin so much better. You also need to moisturize your facial skin, on clean skin, at least twice a day meaning evening and morning. Everyone needs a more nourishing moisturizer during the colder months, and it is equally important to choose cleansers that are non-drying. Do not forget to exfoliate as well because that eliminates the dead skin cells that build up on your skin, worsening the visibility of dryness.

Have you looked into all natural skincare products perhaps, such as pure oils? For dry skin, Argan oil in particular is very good. If you have flaky skin that looks and feels noticeably dry then this is a very good choice. Carrot seed oil too is very good, with anti-inflammatory action that will help your sensitive skin calm down and feel soothed. Grapeseed oil is good for all skin types so including dry and flaky skin. I used to break out regularly but once I switched to pure oil based moisturizing, my skin got a lot better. I am suspecting that you will have the same experience if you try this.

I would start by avoiding any cleansers with ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate, perfume, and preservatives and opt for all natural products instead. Use lukewarm water to cleanse your skin rather than either cold water or hot water, and try blotting your skin dry with a paper towel instead of using a regular towel, which is often going to be scratchy. Then, use a nourishing moisturizing cream. I like shea butter a lot. Avocado oil and jojoba oil are other awesome ingredients to put on your skin. Like other posters, I really do not know what is causing the red bumps on your skin. But I do think that you will start enjoying noticeably better skin if you follow those steps.

My skin has been giving me grief in winter practically as long as I can remember. It is only more recently that I have started looking into ways to combat that dry skin. The answer definitely lies in a more rigorous skin care system. For me, that meant buying several products that are home-made at my pharmacy. One is a rich moisturizer that contains joboba oil, avocado extract and retinol. The other is a cleansing milk with almond oil. Then, a toner for sensitive skin, and also an undereye cream with, I think grapeseed oil. A friend recently gifted me a scrub made by Rituals (Fortune Scrub I think it is called, in an orange tube) that is meant for the body and not the face, but I have been using that on my face, and it works very well. The flaking is gone. The dryness is gone. The skin problems are largely gone except for a few blackheads on my nose. Overall, this improvement was mainly due to simply investing more time into my skin. As a low effort person, I really don't like to spend ages on my skin. But I do look so much better. If anything, my skin now looks slightly oily when I apply my moisturizer, but five minutes later that's gone and my skin feels so soft and awesome.

I hope you find something that works for you.

I had the same problem until a friend gifted me a bottle of jojoba oil. I really simplified my skin care. I am now using castile soap to cleanse my skin and jojoba oil only, and nothing else, to moisturize it. My skin has been replenished with dry flakes being much less of an issue before, and the whiteheads I had are going as well. They are much fewer in number, anyway. It sounds strange to just use oil on your skin but it does a good job and is a good base for my makeup as well. You could try it.

I tried with natural products too, but the only thing that made my skin clear up in the end was a cream with retinol. The dryness is still there in places, I have to admit, but the bumps are completely gone, and it was because of them that I wanted the retinol. My skin also looks younger. I am not sure what caused the bumps I had, but the main thing is that they are gone now. I am still looking for a product to combat the dryness though so if people have tips I am all ears.

Been suffering with something similar for 20+ years, since I was sixteen. I hate my life, but here are two things that help. I take a sea buckthorn seed oil supplement. Also, I use a Japanese beauty bar called Kampuku which can be found on amazon. Cerave makes a cream lotion that is great- I used that for many years. Don't confuse the cream with just their regular lotion as the cream comes in a round tub and keeps moisture better. I currently use virgin coconut oil from the cooking section as my only moisturizer. It's not as good as jojoba or Cerave, but I like it better. Also, since sea buckthorn seed comes in a dropper version too I add two drops to the coconut oil and put it on my face at night. I do find that taking sea buck thorn seed oil internally and using topically has improved the dry skin condition. Even though I've found many good natural things that have helped, nothing has solved my problem and I am looking into getting a prescription for Soolantra. You may want to research soolantra with your derm or do some research online on sites like the people's pharmacy and rosacea.org